SA overhauls selection policy
The cricket board president lost his veto power as SA made a complete overhaul in the wake of its controversial transformation policy.Updated: Jun 19, 2008 14:19 IST
The cricket board president lost his veto power as South Africa made a complete overhaul of their selection policy in the wake of its controversial transformation policy.
Cricket South Africa accepted most of the recommendations made by the Transformation Review Committee and accordingly, board president Norman Arendse would no longer enjoy the veto power.
Insisting that the job of picking up the national team should be entrusted to the panel of selectors, the committee said, "The present system in terms of which the President has the right to veto the selected team should be abolished."
"The President and Board of CSA should continue to be the custodians of the transformation policy insofar as the national team is concerned and, in this regard, should continue to monitor the progress in achieving acceptable levels of representativity that will eventually reflect the demographic makeup of the country," it added.
The issue of quota has created quite a bad blood within the team. Under the this policy, a 15-member South African squad should include seven coloured players and going by that, the selectors dropped Andre Nel and named Charl Langeveldt for the India tour earlier this year even though Langeveldt eventually pulled out saying he was uncomfortable with the policy.
Meanwhile, Arendse said the recommendations were accepted unanimously at yesterday's CSA meeting.