Sign in

‘That’s not relevant': India coach snaps at Kuldeep Yadav question after viral illness rules spinner out of Colombo Test

A viral illness ruled Kuldeep Yadav out of the Colombo Test against Sri Lanka. Here's what Sitanshu Kotak said. 

Updated on: Aug 23, 2026, 20:54:01 IST
Written by
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

Kuldeep Yadav missed out on the playing XI for the second Test against Sri Lanka due to a “viral illness”, and hence Saransh Jain walked into the playing XI in Colombo. The spinner was absent from training on the eve of the crucial game, and hence it was a given that Kuldeep would not feature. The 31-year-old scalped just one wicket in the series opener, and hence several believed that he would be dropped from the lineup. However, the BCCI made things interesting, saying Kuldeep was ruled out of the clash due to illness.

A viral illness ruled Kuldeep Yadav out of the Colombo Test against Sri Lanka (PTI)
A viral illness ruled Kuldeep Yadav out of the Colombo Test against Sri Lanka (PTI)

After the close of play on Day 1, India batting coach Sitanshu Kotak snapped at a Kuldeep Yadav question after a reporter asked him whether the spinner would have played had he been fit for the encounter against Sri Lanka.

Kotak said the question was irrelevant, as Kuldeep was unfit, adding that the team would not shy away from giving the exact reason in public.

Deep Dive

Powered ByFAQAsk HT

Also Read: ‘Yashasvi Jaiswal shouldn’t have gone so close': India, Sri Lanka coaches set record straight after ugly altercation

"I don't think this is a relevant question. If he isn't fit, how does it matter whether he plays? He genuinely had viral when he left Galle. If the team needs an off-spinner, there is no need to say that Kuldeep wasn't well. If the guy is in no position to play, there is no point in thinking about what would have been done if he had been fit. It's unfair to think like that," said Kotak.

2026 has been quite bad for Kuldeep. He first didn't play all the matches of the T20 World Cup, featuring just against Pakistan. He then missed out on the T20I squads for the series against Ireland, England and Zimbabwe. The spinner also missed out on the playing XI for the ODIs against the Three Lions.

‘Viral’

The India batting coach said Kuldeep had been unwell ever since the team left Galle after winning the opening Test by 165 runs. However, he added that the spinner was feeling better.

"Kuldeep wasn't well. He had a viral. When we left, only his throat wasn't well. He has recovered reasonably well. He looked good when I met him in the evening. He wasn't unavailable for the match, so it came down to whether we needed three fast bowlers or three spinners. And with them having four left-handers in the top order, it made sense to play an off-spinner,” said Kotak.

Earlier, the BCCI had confirmed the exact reason for Kuldeep's absence; however, it added that he would be available if a concussion substitute were required. Speaking of the Test, India ended Day 1 at 300/5 after opting to bat first.

  • Vishesh Roy
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Vishesh Roy

    Vishesh Roy is a sports journalist with a strong focus on cricket. He began his career at Asian News International (ANI), where he covered a range of high-profile events, including the India Open, Legends Cricket League, the England–India Test series in Ahmedabad in 2021, and the inauguration of the Narendra Modi Stadium. During his tenure at ANI, he also reported extensively on domestic cricket, covering several Ranji Trophy and Vijay Hazare Trophy matches across the country. While cricket remains his primary beat, Vishesh has also reported on tennis, football and WWE. After a stint of over three years at ANI, Vishesh moved to NDTV, where he gained hands-on experience in digital-first journalism, with a particular emphasis on live blogs and real-time news reporting. He joined Hindustan Times in October 2024 and quickly established himself with a series of exclusive interviews and source-driven stories. Ahead of the IPL 2025 auction, Hindustan Times was the first to report that the two-day event would be held in Saudi Arabia. In the early months of his tenure, Vishesh secured interviews with leading cricketers, including Pat Cummins, Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Kumar Reddy and Rashid Latif. He has also closely tracked the rise of emerging talents such as Vaibhav Suryavanshi and Priyansh Arya by speaking to their current and childhood coaches. His background in on-field reporting has helped Hindustan Times Digital break exclusive stories on major developments, including Virat Kohli’s return to the Ranji and Vijay Hazare Trophy, IPL scheduling, and the T20 World Cup controversy involving Bangladesh and Pakistan.Read More

Get live cricket scores, match updates, schedules, results and ICC rankings. Follow the latest news, statistics and performances of top teams and players on Hindustan Times.