B'wood celebs express angst over CWG
"Disgraceful", "shame", "horror", "embarrassment" - these are some of the expressions that celebrities from the Hindi film industry have used to describe the mess in the arrangements for the Commonwealth Games (CWG).
Most actors have taken to micro-blogging site Twitter to express their views on the issue, following the collapse of a portion of a false ceiling on Wednesday at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium complex, the main CWG venue. The incident happened just a day after a foot overbridge at the stadium came crashing down, and complaints of the unhygienic conditions in the Games village hit the headlines.
Celebrities like Shilpa Shetty, R. Madhavan, Ranvir Shorey and Diya Mirza, among others, have expressed their concern over the image of the country due to the CWG mess.
Here's what they have to say:
(My) News that things are falling apart a week before the games begin and how! Athletes are pulling out due to health and safety concerns…just makes me cringe. This could have been a great opportunity to make our country proud. Unfortunately CWG hasn't brought us the pride and honour we thought it would.
Diya Mirza: All hopes despite every negative sign have been thwarted for good. National shame but more so, national horror the CWG has turned into. I just hope that this shakes us all out of our slumber. I think what we lack the most is respect. If we respected our country, would we be as corrupt? The values that we strongly uphold, integrity, honesty, respect all forgotten? I feel so angry, disappointed and let down.R. Madhavan: The CWG is already an embarrassment. I don't think we are firstly, morally prepared for something like this. Honestly there is a limit to things we can brush under the carpet and I believe everything the media has to say about this issue.
Vishal Dadlani: So, what's more disgraceful for India? Cancelling the damned CWG, or actually letting them happen? Thanks politicians, bureaucrats and contractors, for this CWG mess. I'm sure you made lots of money from the sale of our national pride.
Kunal Kapoor: CWG - What was supposed to be the nation's pride has turned out be it's shame! Actually, it is silly to expect pride when we are ruled by corrupt and shameless politicians. National pride is the last thing on their minds!
Ranvir Shorey: After the bridge, a ceiling has collapsed. Dogs, poop, falling buildings... I'm already enjoying the CWG. Waiting for something to collapse on one of the government officials who're telling us everything is alright at the CWG. Government expects support for the corruption that is bringing us international shame.
Rhea Kapoor: Apalling! The CWG seems to be going to the dogs! Who is in charge? Time to start praying for a miracle.
Roshan Abbas: What does one say, embarrassed by CWG. India will be the laughing stock and many will still line their pockets and not care a damn.
Gaurav Kapur: Shiela Ji namaste, mere paise lauta dijiye (Dear Shiela Dixit, Please return my money). Regards, taxpayer of India.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Amitabh Bachchan's granddaughter, Navya Naveli Nanda, on Wednesday reacted to a question posed to a rape accused by a Supreme Court bench.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Kajol wished sister Tanishaa Mukerji as she turns a year older. She also shared some never-seen-before throwback pictures.
- Shah Rukh Khan's child co-star from Kal Ho Naa Ho, Jhanak Shukla, spoke in a video about why and how she 'lost the track' in her acting career, and how she is 'not earning anything' right now.
- Janhvi Kapoor is back with her second dance number, titled Nadiyon Paar, from the film Roohi. It is a remixed version of hit Shamur song Let The Music Play.
- Priyaank Sharma and Shaza Morani hosted a Christian-style wedding ceremony in the Maldives this week. The couple exchanged their vows at a beach ceremony, and danced to Ed Sheeran's Perfect.
- Twitter users reacted after Kangana Ranaut shamed 'achievers' of today for wearing 'torn American jeans and rags like blouses'. Some found pictures of Kangana herself wearing the clothes that she described.
- Singer Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a son. They had earlier shared several posts trying to guess the baby's gender, wondering if the child would be a 'Singh' or a 'Kaur'.
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.