Prakash Raj joins the cast of Mani Ratnam’s period drama Ponniyin Selvan
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
Actor Prakash Raj has joined the cast of Mani Ratnam’s upcoming period magnum opus Ponniyin Selvan. Prakash Raj took to Twitter to share that he has started shooting for the film and that it has been a 25-year-long journey with the filmmaker.
Prakash Raj’s collaboration with Mani Ratnam began with 1997 Tamil political drama Iruvar. He is the latest addition to the cast which already features Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Karthi, Vikram, Jayam Ravi, Ashwin Kakumanu, Aishwarya Lekshmi and Mohan Babu among others.
Prakash Raj took to Twitter and wrote: “On the sets of #Maniratnam s #PonniyinSelvan. A journey with the master which started 25 years back from #Iruvar continues. The joy of unlearning, finding new horizons. Bliss n blessed.”
Last week, the shoot of the project resumed after a long gap in a specially erected set in Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad. The entire cast and crew got tested for Covid-19 before joining the sets. It was after everybody tested negative that the team went ahead with the plan of resuming shoot.
The project went on the floors in December 2019 in Thailand, where the first schedule was filmed for over 90 days. Actors Karthi, Jayam Ravi and Aishwarya Lekshmi took part in the first schedule. After wrapping up the Thailand schedule, the team suspended the rest of the schedules due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The title poster of the film was released last January. AR Rahman will compose music, while Ravi Varman has been roped in for cinematography. Sreekar Prasad will handle editing, Thota Tharani is in charge of production design and writer Jeyamohan is writing the dialogues.
The film is being jointly produced by Mani Ratnam and Lyca Productions. Siva Ananth is the film’s executive producer.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nenjam Marappathillai review: What’s refreshing about the film is that it is devoid of all the usual stereotypes one could associate with horror movies.
- Malavika Mohanan shared several behind the scene pictures from the making of Master on completion of the film's 50 days in theatres.
- Aishwaryaa Dhanush took to Instagram and shared a picture with her son Lingaa and urged followers to wear a mask.
- Aelay is a fun, sweet film that gets so much right about life in a small village and their tradition but is needlessly long drawn.
- Shruti Haasan has shared a few adorable pictures with her superstar father Kamal Haasan on Instagram.
- Dhanush's upcoming movie Jagame Thandhiram skips the theatres for an OTT release. The movie is set to stream on Netflix India and the teaser has been released.
- Suriya has tested negative to Covid 19. His producer friend Rajsekar Pandian tweeted to share the news. Ealier this month, the actor had tweeted to inform that he had contracted the virus.
- Actor Siddharth, of Rang De Basanti fame, had a heated exchange on Twitter with a person who abused him.
- Rajinikanth paid a visit to Ilayaraja’s new music studio in Chennai.
- Nidhhi Agerwal was in for a shock when she came to know that her fans in Chennai had built a temple in her name. She has done only two films in Tamil so far.
- Kutty Story is a cocktail of love stories with some quirky twists. Except for Nalan’s refreshing short on male insecurity in a marriage, other shorts come across as promising but never work wholesomely.
- Care of Kaadhal is one of those films that leave you with a rewarding experience only if you’ve patiently waited for the end, and the way the stories culminate makes for a moving experience.
- Suriya, who tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this month, has returned home and will self-isolate for a few days. His brother, Karthi, shared the update on Twitter.