Colours galore at pre-Oscars show
Hollywood stars and the designers who dress them grabbed Oscar's spotlight on Wednesday in a fashion preview featuring vivid colors and the sparkling jewelry expected to wow fans on the Academy Awards' red carpet.
Flowing goddess gowns and slinky silhouettes were the highlight of a runway show hosted by the Oscars' fashion coordinator, Patty Fox, who said her goal was "to make the viewing public interested in what the stars are wearing."
Millions of fashion and movie fans will tune their TVs to the Oscar red carpet parade outside the Kodak Theater on February 24, where Hollywood stars turn out for the world's top film honours given out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Images of tuxedo-clad actors and actresses in elaborate gowns are broadcast worldwide, inspiring global fashion trends and thousands of copy-cat looks.
Essential to the magic created on the red carpet, Fox said, is the collaboration between designer and actress, and her Wednesday fashion preview highlighted that connection.
"The thing that makes the style star icon feel comfortable ... is uniting the artist and the muse," said Fox, citing such duos as Catherine Zeta-Jones and Versace or Renee Zellweger and Carolina Herrera.
Designer Elie Saab saw her career skyrocket when Halle Berry accepted her 2002 best-actress Oscar in the now-famous gown with the peek-a-boo bodice and burgundy silk train.
To emphasise the link, Fox singled out past winners, then selected couture gowns that spoke to their style. While fans won't see how their favorite stars are dressed until they step onto the red carpet, Fox showcased a series of styles that sum up the best of formal wear, looks likely to be seen Oscar night.
DRESSING THE STARS
For Catherine Zeta-Jones, she chose an elegant strapless column dress with lightning bolt beads, art deco detail and a dramatic slit up the side from Lebanese designer Ella Zahlan.
She imagined Zellweger in a mustard gold strapless Angel Sanchez dress, reminiscent of the coveted Oscar itself.
This year on the red carpet, colors will be hot, especially cobalt blue and striking yellow. Gowns in grape, amethyst, scarlet and ocean blue fluttered down the runway on looks guaranteed to catch the eye.
"Colour, colour, colour, colour," emphasised Fox.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Want to raise the hotness quotient while looking effortlessly trendy? Search no further and take fashion cues from Radhika Madan whose fun and fearless style for Netflix series ‘Spotlight’ looks fresh as spring in an off-shoulder scarlet crop top, jeans and red heels
- For a promotional event of her recently released film, The Girl On The Train, Parineeti Chopra showed how to slay in an all-black attire and add extra oomph to it.
- Alia Bhatt and Mrunal Thakur were recently snapped wearing the same dress. The green coloured midi dress is a great pick for summer season. Who do you think wore it better?
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Shilpa Shetty is currently holidaying in the Maldives and giving us sartorial goals. The fashionista recently wore a gorgeous pink and yellow pleated saree dress worth ₹25k and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.