Designers still want their models to look anorexic
Waif thin models are still the reigning queens of runways despite sustained campaigns to stop young models from starving themselves into skinniness – and designers are to blame.
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) recently held an event dubbed “The Beauty of Health: How the Fashion Industry Can Make a Difference” at Milk Studios as part of its awareness program.
Since holding its first health symposium last year, the CFDA has sent letters to designers, agents and stylists reminding them of the importance of health.
The trade organization has also recommended guidelines, such as allowing no girls under 16 to work without the presence of their mothers.
The problem, however, is that the CFDA has resisted imposing regulations, as Spain has done by banning some models based on a body-mass index.
According to Women's Wear Daily (WWD), a fashion-industry trade journal sometimes called “the bible of fashion”, things are not really going the way as the CFDA is hoping.
In a recent fashion show, model Coco Rocha said: "She wakes up in the morning, goes to the bathroom to take a shower, and runs by the full-length mirror because she can't bear to look at herself naked. She only weighs 104 pounds, but all she can think is, I need to be thinner."
People in the industry have been no help, Rocha told WWD's Marc Karimzadeh.
"They said, 'You need to lose more weight - the look this year is anorexia, and although we don't want you to be anorexic, we want you to look it,’” the New York Post quoted Rocha, as telling WWD.
"My question is, how do you look anorexic unless you actually are?" Rocha added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work
- 13-time PGA Tour winner, Justin Thomas was dropped as an ambassador by the fashion brand Ralph Lauren on Friday, after the golfer was caught uttering a homophobic slur last Saturday during a tournament.
- For Makar Sankranti celebrations at her home, Aditi Rao Hydari wore a breathtakingly beautiful anarkali suit that featured an exquisite floral print.
- Karisma Kapoor exudes the richness of sartorial traditions as she nails work from home fashion in a vibrant ready-to-wear handmade midi dress, in romantic pink hue, by Anita Dongre and we are smitten
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja proves to be ahead of the fashion curve yet again as she looks like a dream while flaunting a sensual and generous silhouette in Stephane Rolland’s Imperial China inspired gown, ravishing pictures set the Internet ablaze
- Milan Fashion Week 2021: Though Dolce & Gabbana have withdrawn from the four-day men's fashion event, brands like Fendi, Etro and Kway are opting to broadcast live shows while Ermenegildo Zegna, Tod's, Prada and Church's have opted for pre-records as rising Covid-19 cases dampen the buzz in Italy
- Looking for a picnic date outfit to make a statement? Hina Khan is giving some inspiration in her white sheer lace dress. The actor, known for her impeccable sartorial sense, recently shared stunning images of herself and we are speechless.
- Janhvi Kapoor has made a name for herself as a fashionista. Time and again, the actor wears an outfit and inspires us to upgrade our wardrobe. This time, she is teaching us the correct way to do layering during winter season.
- Nora Fatehi again made headlines as she stepped out wearing a gorgeous beige kaftan dress. The dancer gave elegance a new meaning with her regal outfit.