Patriotism to mark fashion week's grand finale
Collections inspired by India will mark the grand finale of the upcoming edition of Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW), showcasing the designers' patriotism.
Renowned fashion designers Anamika Khanna and Ashish Soni were Wednesday chosen to display their works on the ramp for the grand finale, which has been aptly titled 'Mode in India'.
The 11th edition of the fashion extravaganza, organised by the Fashion Design Council of India (FDCI), is scheduled for March 12-16.
"Both of us have derived our respective collections from India and it is going to be all about our nation. We are proud to be Indians and that is what we are going to showcase on the ramp via our silhouettes," Anamika told IANS.
Dipping into the country's inexhaustible treasure trove of textiles and craft Anamika's line is "edgy, clean and uncluttered". Using fabrics like satin, jacquard, silk, textured cotton, organza and georgette, she has crafted dresses, skirts, coats and jackets.
The colour palette has black, blue-blacks and charcoal, and "the collection is bordered towards dark shades". "All the literal images that we have about our country - our collections would break all of them. The idea is to bring out the essence of Indian fashion. I mean, if flanked by international labels, where we are spaced. Our products are of international standards with the Indianness intact," explained Soni.
Hues like charcoal, dark blue, ebony and bitter chocolate dominate Soni's palette. Fabrics used in the line include Cashmere in knit and woven, Viscose knits, flannel wool and leather.
Announcing the names Atul Chand, vice president (market), ITC's Lifestyle Retailing, said: "The grand finale at the coming event will showcase two bright young stars of Indian fashion, who have earned much global acclaim." "Both creative experts are very dynamic and vibrant. They have evolved their own signature style and contributed largely in putting Indian fashion on the world map," said Rathi Vinay Jha, director general of FDCI.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Shilpa Shetty is currently holidaying in the Maldives and giving us sartorial goals. The fashionista recently wore a gorgeous pink and yellow pleated saree dress worth ₹25k and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.
- Bipasha Basu floods the Internet with sultry pictures straight from the Maldives beach in a black bikini layered with a barely buttoned-down cinnamon blue and ivory striped silk shirt dress which is a closet must-have for a summer or fall day | Check pictures and fashion cues inside
- Hello sunshine: Gauahar Khan adds all the missing beauty to our day with her ravishing pictures in a mesmerising mustard lehenga set with gota korpatti embroidery and we guess we have already found our fashion hero to take style cues from, for the next ethnic event this Spring