Simplicity the key to right wardrobe
If you are about to enter a Delhi college and are thinking of buying some flashy outfits or those that allow a bit of skin show, beware of committing a fashion faux pax.
With the admission season in full swing in Delhi's colleges, students are trying hard to get their wardrobes right. Simplicity, say many students and designers, is key.
"Simplicity is the best style statement," said Achal Uppal, a student of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
Chipped in Anisha Ahmed of Lady Shri Ram (LSR) College: "Guys should avoid fluorescent colours."
The young men too have advice for the women. "Girls should not wear deep necks and backless dresses," 18-year-old Mukund Sarkar opined.
As far as expert advice goes, fashion designer Raghavendra Rathore feels students should wear clothes in which they can be themselves. "Simple and comfortable clothes are the best," Sarkar told IANS.
He said T-shirts were the best bet. "They don't crumple like shirts. But they should be properly dried or else they would cause body odour."
"I also think branded designer clothes with their logos showing is the ultimate fashion faux pas."
In the varsities of Delhi - it is home to Delhi University that has around 70 colleges, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia and others - one often finds an eclectic mix of people from different states and backgrounds; therefore a clash of fashion sensibilities is not always far.
Fashion designer Rina Dhaka told IANS: "Colleges have students from all walks of life. So to those who are not exposed to urban styles of dressing I would suggest that girls avoid short skirts and other such attire."
"Basic grooming and hygiene is what is most important for boys," she said. Dhaka, however, added that college students are at an age where they can experiment with dressing up.
Wasim Akhtar Ali, who is in his second year in a Delhi college, "Tight-fitting clothes and flashy accessories are a big no for boys. They should try wearing plain, simple clothes to look classy."
Garima Verma, a first year student in Indraprastha University, said: "Jeans with embroidery are a put-off."
Lily Bishnoi, a first year journalism student, said: "Girls who often come to college in pyjamas are not at all cool."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Snuggle but with fashion and Mira Rajput Kapoor, in a knit cape with a high neck, shows us how to keep the finger firmly placed on the sartorial pulse this cosy winter season
- Sara Ali Khan leaves fashionistas in awe of her classy feminine style and flirty edge in a red and navy blue checkered cocktail dress with a flattering side draping and we can’t help swooning either
- Another day, another sultry look by Karisma Kapoor and we can’t help but prepare a sartorial diary to recreate her killer styles for our next date night with bae. Want to send the fashion police on red alert? Check out the diva’s puff-sleeved dress
- Milan Fashion Week 2021: Miuccia Prada, Raf Simonsosy, Fendi, Ermenegildo Zegna and even K-Way establish that comfortable indoor-wear leaves its mark on outdoor styles for menswear autumn-winter collection
- Mira Rajput and Shahid Kapoor are currently holidaying in Goa and the mother-of-two is flaunting her enviable curves in some of the most fabulous beach wear. Their pictures are making us crave for a vacation as well.
- Tandav star Saif Ali Khan turns cover boy for a magazine and his latest pictures in a teal blue bandhgala are fashion goals for men to break away yet embrace the mundane with naturalism
- Hina Khan is having a gala time on her trip. The fashionista has been giving us great brunch date look ideas. She has been snapped in some of the the most impressive ensembles and we are getting inspired.
- Sara Ali Khan's latest leather look teaches us how to brave the winter and look badass while doing it. The Simmba actor is a fashionista in the truest sense.
- On Sunday, Prada unveiled their latest collection - anti-uniform which is an ode to our new intimacy in our ever-tighter circles: luxury long-johns, digitally.
- Athiya Shetty has been making us dream of an endless summer to far flung places and her sizzling fashionable looks, in floral or fancy dresses that flaunt effortless silhouettes and celebrate the feminine figure, are to be blamed
- NBA coaches' casual dressing, during the league at Walt Disney World in Florida, inspires basketball coaches across America to eschew the traditional game day attire of coats, ties and dress slacks in favour of polos, quarter-zips and warmup pants as comfort over style becomes the new fashion trend
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.