Top sunscreens to buy this summer!
If you're wondering which sunscreen to slather on this summer, American magazine Consumer Reports recommends seven products that deliver more skin-protecting bang for your buck.health and fitness Updated: May 29, 2012 16:59 IST
If you're wondering which sunscreen to slather on this summer, American magazine Consumer Reports recommends seven products that deliver more skin-protecting bang for your buck.
For the magazine's annual roundup of sunscreens on the market, all the products tested ranged from SPF 30 to SPF 75+ and were lotions, sprays, or a spray foam. Prices varied from a low of $.59 an ounce to a high of $20.59 per ounce.
• No-Ad lotion with aloe & vitamin E, SPF 45, $.59/ounce
• Walgreens continuous spray sport, SPF 50, $1.30/ounce
• Coppertone oil-free foaming spray, SPF 75+, $1.67/ounce
• All Terrain Aqua Sport lotion, SPF 30, $4/ounce
• Banana Boat clear ultra-mist sports performance active dry protect spray, SPF 30, $1.63/ounce
• Coppertone sport high performance ultra sweat-proof spray, SPF 30, $1.67/ounce
• Eco all natural sunscreen body lotion, SPF 30, $4.72/ounce
Note: two popular sunscreens that failed the magazine's "broad spectrum" test were Alba Botanical natural very emollient sunblock sport, SPF 45, and Banana Boat Kids tear-free, sting-free, SPF 50+.
Last week, Consumer Reports also issued a few tips for applying sunscreen:
• Fill up most of a 1.5-ounce shot glass with sunscreen -- that's how much you should apply each time you use it (at least every two hours and after you go swimming or sweat a lot).
• Rub sunscreen in 15 to 30 minutes before you go outside.
• Bring a big hat, a long-sleeved beach cover-up and sunglasses to help shield from the sun's harmful rays.
First Published: May 29, 2012 14:28 IST