Mickey Rourke shapes up to play gay rugby player
Mickey Rourke has hired a top personal trainer to get him into shape to portray former Wales international legend Gareth Thomas in new movie.
The 59-year-old actor is looking lean and mean and has dropped two stone as he continues to transform his body, having already had work done on his eyes.
Producer Colin Vaines has contracted trainer and stunt co-ordinator Nick McKinless, who also happens to be a pretty good rugby player, to work with Rourke on engineering his body so that he could pass muster on the rugby pitch.
It was McKinless who got Ralph Fiennes into shape for the film Coriolanus, which Vaines produced.
Rourke, who won a best actor Bafta and was Oscar-nominated for his role in The Wrestler, wants to explore the psychology of how Thomas currently in Celebrity Big Brother was able to hide his sexuality as he played the most macho of sports.
“It’s a film about a man who played rugby, who was so aggressive when he played and he happened to be gay,” the Daily Mail quoted Rourke as saying.
“It took a lot of courage to be in his world and do that.”
Principal photography will begin in September but film-makers are exploring ways to shoot some background footage during the Six Nations rugby games which start next month.
Rourke has had countless conversations with Thomas and has fed a lot of that material into the film’s screenplay.
He sees the portrayal of Thomas as one of the last great roles of his career even though there’s a 22-year age difference.
“When Mickey’s committed, as he is with this, he can do anything. The age isn’t a problem,’ Vaines said.
The actor and his collaborators, Thomas, Vaines and director Antony Hoffman, see the film as the story of a man battling his own demons.
“I’m thinking of Martin Scorsese’s Raging Bull meeting Lindsay Anderson’s This Sporting Life, where sport was used as a backdrop to explore an inner torment.
“Gareth said to Mickey that he always had to be more macho on the field, because he was carrying a secret,” Vaines added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.