Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 18, 2019-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

18-month-old boy drinks diesel accidentally, dies

Investigation revealed that after filling diesel in the cooking stove, his mother had kept the bottle on the floor.

india Updated: May 25, 2019 22:38 IST
Nadeem Inamdar
Nadeem Inamdar
Hindustan Times, Pune
Crime,India news,boy drinks diesel
A one-and-a-half-year-old toddler died after he accidentally consumed diesel in Dehu gaon, Vitthalwadi.(AFP file photo for representation)

A one-and-a-half-year-old toddler died after he accidentally consumed diesel in Dehu gaon, Vitthalwadi. According to the police, the child, Vedant Gautum Gaikwad, who comes from a family of casual labourers, was playing in the house at the time of the accident.

His mother got diesel in a glass bottle to be filled in the cooking stove and Vedant accidentally drank diesel thinking it was water.

Investigation revealed that after filling diesel in the cooking stove, his mother had kept the bottle on the floor.

Vedant while playing took the bottle and drank from it. Minutes later, his eyes turned white and he started vomiting. He was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Vedant died due to medical complications while undergoing treatment, police said. Assistant sub-inspector Adinath Misal , the investigation officer from Dehu road Police station, said that the child died due to poising and a certificate stating the same has been issued by the hospital where he underwent treatment and died.

“It is a tragic incident. Since kerosene was unavailable for cooking in the area, the mother got diesel to cook food. She accidentally kept the bottle unattended and it was at this juncture that the child took it and drank diesel,” Misal said.

First Published: May 25, 2019 22:37 IST