Olympic medallist and ace shuttler Saina Nehwal joins BJP, says ‘admire hard-working people like PM Modi’
Badminton star and ace shuttler Saina Nehwal joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday.
Nehwal said it’s a big day for her. “I have always admired hard-working people like Prime Minister Narendra Modi. I am thankful to the BJP for giving me this opportunity,” the badminton star said.
“I am looking forward to my new responsibility,” she added. Nehwal’s elder sister Chandranshu also joined the party.
Saina Nehwal was inducted into the BJP by party’s national general secretary Arun Singh, who said India is proud of Nehal who brought laurels for the country.
Watch: Badminton star Saina Nehwal joins BJP; lauds PM Modi’s good work
“She won bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics. It was the first time that an Indian won an Olympic medal in badminton. She has also won gold medal in Commonwealth Games,” said Singh.
Nehwal and her sister later met BJP president Jagat Prakash Nadda.
Nehwal was the catalyst of India’s badminton revolution as she made a splash in international tournaments, from a young age, under the tutelage of coach Pullela Gopichand. She has several firsts to her name. Apart from becoming the first Indian shuttler to win Super Series tournaments, Saina lit up the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi by winning the gold medal in women’s singles.
She went on to bring more laurels by becoming India’s first-ever Olympic medallist in the sport of badminton, grabbing a bronze in the 2012 London Games. Then came the biggest high of her career as she reached the top of the badminton rankings, the first Indian shuttler to become world No 1.
Injuries took a toll on her career but she returned stronger and became the first Indian to reach the final of the BWF World Championships, finishing with a silver in 2015 and followed it up with a bronze in 2017.
At a time when compatriot PV Sindhu was ruling the roost, Nehwal reminded everyone of her prowess by upstaging her rival to win the gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast Australia. With 10 Super Series titles to her name, Nehwal is fourth in the all-time list of women’s singles champs who have won the prestigious events.
Along with her badminton feats she has also been honoured by the Indian government over the years. She has been a recipient of the Arjuna Award (2009), Padma Shri (2010), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2009-10) and Padma Bhushan (2016).
She married fellow shuttler Parupalli Kashyap in 2018 in Hyderabad.
Last year, a number of sportspersons including cricketer Gautam Gambhir and wrestlers Yogeshwar Dutt and Babita Phogat had joined the BJP.
While Dutt had joined the BJP on September 26, along with former captain of India hockey team Sandeep Singh, Phogat, also a fellow Olympic medallist, had joined the party on August 12 last year.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.