...
...
Next Story

'Borders have been quiet': Doval on China ties as Wang Yi says 'past setbacks' hurt both

Ajit Doval made the remarks during his meet with China's foreign minister Wang Yi, who is in Delhi for a visit.

Updated on: Aug 19, 2025, 14:58:35 IST
Advertisement

India and China have benefited from the peace and tranquillity witnessed along their border since the ending of a military standoff last October and made progress in various areas, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval said on Tuesday as he held talks on the boundary issue with Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi.

File photo of Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi with national security advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval (AP)
File photo of Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi with national security advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval (AP)

Doval and Wang met in New Delhi for the 24th round of talks under the Special Representatives mechanism – the highest body for dealing with the long-standing border dispute between the two sides – less than a fortnight before Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit.

Noting that there has been an “upward trend” in India-China relations in the past nine months, Doval said: “Borders have been quiet, there has been peace and tranquillity, our bilateral engagements have been more substantial.”

He added, “The new environment that has been created has helped us in moving ahead in the various areas that we were working on.”

Modi and Xi met on the margins of a multilateral event in Kazan two days after India and China reached an understanding on October 21, 2024, on ending the face-off that began in Ladakh sector of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in April-May 2020. The standoff, during which both sides amassed about 50,000 troops each on the LAC, and a brutal clash in Galwan Valley in June 2020 took bilateral ties to a six-decade low.

The two leaders had decided at their meeting to revive several mechanisms, including talks between the Special Representatives, to normalise bilateral ties and to address the border dispute.

Wang, the first Chinese minister to travel to India since the end of the face-off on the LAC, said the setbacks experienced by India and China in the past few years were not in the interests of the people of the two countries. The meeting between Modi and Xi last year “pointed the direction for the development of our bilateral relations and provided impetus for the proper settlement of the boundary question”, he said.

“We are heartened to see the stability that is now restored in the borders,” Wang said. “Now the bilateral relationship is facing an important opportunity of improvement and growth. The Chinese side attaches great importance to the Prime Minister’s visit to China to attend the SCO Summit at our invitation.”

A healthy and stable China-India relationship serves the long-term interests of both countries and is also the desire of developing countries, Wang said. The two sides should “increase mutual trust through strategic communication, expand common interest through exchanges and cooperation, and properly settle the specific issues in the borders…to advance our relationship in a healthy and sound manner”, he said.

People familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity that confidence-building measures such as border trade and new measures to improve the management of the boundary and to prevent tensions were on the agenda for the meeting between Doval and Wang.

The two Special Representatives met even as a senior Indian government official said Wang had assured external affairs minister S Jaishankar at a meeting on Monday that China is addressing India’s concerns regarding restrictions on the export of rare earth minerals, fertilisers and large tunnel boring machines.

Wang is also scheduled to meet Modi in the evening at the conclusion of his two-day visit.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rezaul H Laskar

Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe