Digital voter cards: How to download? Who are eligible? All you need to know
The Electronic Electoral Photo Identity Card programme will be officially launched on January 25 which will allow voters to download a soft copy of their voter cards from the website of the Election Commission. Other identity proofs like the Aadhaar card, PAN card, driving licence are already available in the digital format. This will be the first time that the government will issue voter identity cards in digital formats. January 25 has been chosen as the launch date of this programme as National Voters' Day.
This also comes ahead of the assembly elections in five states — West Bengal, Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. But can all registered voters get digital identity cards? Will carrying only this to polling booth be enough?
Here is all you need to know:
> In the first phase which is between January 25 and 31, only new voters who have applied for their voter cards and have registered their mobile numbers with the Election Commission will be able to download their digital voter-IDs.
> From February 1, all voters will be able to download their digital copies, if their phone numbers are linked with the Election Commission.
> Voters who do not have their phone numbers linked with the Commission will have to reverify their details with the EC and get their mobile number linked to avail of the download feature.
> Digital voter identity cards will be in PDF formats.
> New voters will also get hard copies of their voter ID cards. The digitisation is to ensure there is no delay in getting voter ID cards before election. Also, digital cards will help in case of a loss of card, migration etc.
> Digital voter ID cards can be stored on Digilocker.
> The digital cards will carry a secured QR code with images and demographics so that these can't be duplicated.
How to download digital voter ID cards:
2. If you do not have an account, then create an account through your mobile number or email ID.
3. If you already have an account, then log in and click on the option of download E-EPIC.
4. The download facility will be available from 11.14am onwards on January 25.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Those entering India can be granted refugee status, but they will be deported if the government decides against it
- The 50-odd pages document, anchored by the national security adviser’s office, is now awaiting the approval from the Prime Minister’s office before it is released.
- Delhi, which gave shots to 1,679 people per million population in the second phase till Wednesday night, was in the second spot, while Odisha (1,283 doses per million) was third.
- The scenes that caused offence have since been deleted, and the makers as well as the OTT company have apologised.
- The medical fitness team of the Army tested close to 615 women SSC officers entitled for permanent commission, following the apex court judgment, on five counts: psychiatry, height, appendage (bone structure), physical and eye and ear.
- The EOL report has calculated its overall scores on the basis of four parameters: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability and citizen perception.
- Bengaluru, India’s technology capital, is an economic powerhouse on account of the presence of some of the world’s largest corporations.
- K Surendran, the state BJP president who made the original announcement claimed he was quoted out of context.
- The biosphere reserve spread over an area of 5569 sq km contributes 38% of the total protected area network in Odisha. It is also one of the oldest tiger reserves in the country having the largest zone of Sal trees.
- For the first time, junior commissioned officers (JCOs) and jawans are taking part in the top conference, as reported by Hindustan Times on Wednesday.
- According to the IMD's forecast, Friday and Saturday may see higher daytime temperatures that could rise to 39 degrees Celsius.
- A police officer said that the complainant's status as witness in the case of alleged sexual exploitation against former minister Ramesh Jarkiholi is also unclear.