G20 Summit highlights: President Murmu hosts lavish dinner for leaders, delegates
G20 Summit highlights: The 18th G20 Summit was held at the state-of-the-art Bharat Mandapam Convention Centre in New Delhi from September 9-10.
G20 Summit highlights: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday announced that the G20 leaders had reached consensus on the Summit Declaration and expressed gratitude to members of the bloc for their support and cooperation.
While addressing the inaugural session of the summit, Modi called on converting the global trust deficit post-Covid pandemic into trust and confidence. The 18th G20 Summit is being organised at Bharat Mandapam Convention Centre in New Delhi.
In his opening remarks at the G20 summit where a name badge at his table read “Bharat”, he announced to include the African Union as the permanent member of the G20 organisation. Earlier in the day, he welcomed the world leaders for the mega conclave . The high-level conclave is hosting over 30 global leaders including US President Joe Biden, UK PM Rishi Sunak, French President Emmanuel Macron among others.
The day concluded with President Droupadi Murmu hosting a lavish dinner for nearly 400 guests at the G20 venue - Bharat Mandapam in Delhi. Murmu, Modi received Biden, Sunak, among several leaders as they arrived at the venue to attend the grand dinner.
Follow all the updates here:
- Sep 09, 2023 10:53 PM IST
Ukraine miffed over G20 declaration; ‘nothing to be proud of’
G20 Summit LIVE updates: The Ukrainian foreign ministry said on Saturday the G20's joint declaration was "nothing to be proud of" and criticised it for not mentioning Russia. Foreign ministry spokesperson Oleg Nikolenko posted a screenshot of the relevant section of the joint declaration, with several pieces of the text crossed out in red and corrected with wording which reflects Ukraine's position that it is a victim of unprovoked Russian aggression. "It is clear that the participation of the Ukrainian side (in the G20 meeting) would have allowed the participants to better understand the situation," he wrote on Facebook.Sep 09, 2023 10:42 PM IST
G20 Summit: UK PM Rishi Sunak meets Union minister Jitendra Singh
G20 Summit LIVE updates: UK PM Rishi Sunak met with Union Minister of State for Science and Technology Jitendra Singh at the Bharat Mandapam in Delhi on Saturday evening during the President dinner.Sep 09, 2023 10:28 PM IST
G20 Summit: Key highlights from Jaishankar's press brief after G20 consensus
G20 Summit LIVE updates: The country’s G20 presidency has made “India world-ready and the world India-ready" even as New Delhi ensured that the concerns of the Global South constituted the core agenda of deliberations within the grouping, external affairs minister S Jaishankar said on Saturday
Sep 09, 2023 10:11 PM IST
- Jaishankar made the remarks while addressing a media briefing along with finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman, G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant, chief G20 coordinator Harsh Shringla and foreign secretary Vinay Kwatra shortly after the Indian side clinched a consensus leaders’ declaration.
- “The G20 has contributed to making India world-ready and the world India-ready," he said. “No one left behind” has now become a goal for foreign policy as much as domestic policies, he pointed out.
- While noting that the G20 is not the platform to resolve geopolitical and security issues, the leaders recognised they can have significant consequences for the global economy. "In particular, they dwelt on the ongoing war in Ukraine and the impact it has had, especially on developing and least developing nations still recovering from the pandemic and economic disruptions," Jaishankar said.
G20 Summit: Nirmala Sitharaman interacts with Bangladesh's Sheikh Hasina | Photo
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman interacts with Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina at the G-20 Dinner hosted by President Droupadi Murmu at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi.Sep 09, 2023 09:53 PM IST
G20 Summit: Leaders' declaration to African Union's merger, key takeaways from day 1
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Both sessions – ‘One Earth’ and ‘One Family’ – of the much-awaited G20 Leaders' Summit on the first day concluded with achieving the significant joint declaration after full consensus by the member states. The 37-page declaration has also mentioned the ‘War in Ukraine’ and added Prime Minister Narendra Modi's ‘Today’s era must not be of war' remark on conflicts.
Sep 09, 2023 09:21 PM IST
- Moreover, after much anticipation, the Group of Twenty (G20) nations have officially made the African Union a permanent member of the intergovernmental forum. The grouping had 19 countries along with the European Union (EU), and the joining of the 55-member African bloc adds another member to the forum.
- Leaders' Declaration: With a climbdown on its language from last year's summit in Bali, this year's declaration featured PM Modi's comment on conflict resolution, indicating that the G7 nations and EU have appreciated India's stance amid Russia-Ukraine crisis.
- India's rail, waterway link to Middle-East and Europe: The formal announcement of the ambitious India-Middle East-Europe Corridor on the sidelines of the G20 Summit has paved way for the first-of-its-kind drive to strengthen trade ties between India and other countries in the sub-continent like Nepal and Bangladesh will be shipped to various ports in Europe including Italy, Germany and France.
- Push for climate financing: The Green Development Pact will a step towards tackling with such challenge. This declaration calls upon the developed nations to double their funding for the cause from $100 billion a year by 2025. The India-led ‘global biofuels alliance’ has also been announced in a bid to form a group international organisations, governments and industries to ensure the adoption of biofuels.
G20 Summit: ‘Bali was Bali, Delhi is Delhi’ - Jaishankar on Delhi Declaration text on Ukraine
G20 Summit updates: External affairs minister S Jaishankar on Saturday dismissed any comparison between the Bali declaration and the New Delhi declaration of the G20 leaders and said the situation when the Bali Declaration was adopted was different.
Sep 09, 2023 08:58 PM IST
- "In regards to the comparison with the Bali declaration, I can only say Bali was Bali and New Delhi is New Delhi. Bali was a year ago, the situation was different. Many things have happened since then," Jaishankar said at the press conference after the consensus was achieved over the joint statement of the G20 leaders.
- "In the geo-political segment of the leaders' declaration, there are in totality eight paragraphs and seven of which actually focus on the Ukraine issue and many of them highlight problems which are of great contemporary significance...One should not have a theological view of this," Jaishankar said.
- “New Delhi declaration responds to the situation and concerns as it is today just as the Bali declaration did in a situation which was there a year ago,” the external affairs minister said.
G20 Summit: US delegate flexes impressive Hindi speaking skills at event | Watch
G20 Summit updates: Amid the ongoing two day G20 Summit in New Delhi that began Saturday, a United States delegate showcased her impressive Hindi speaking skills while discussing the Indo-US joint declaration, announced a day ahead of the summit. The delegate was identified as the US State Department’s Hindustani Spokesperson, Margaret MacLeod, who is entrusted with communicating US foreign policy priorities to Hindi and Urdu speakers around the world.Sep 09, 2023 08:41 PM IST
G20 Summit: Biden affirms strong commitment to G20 cooperation with India, Brazil, and South Africa
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Joe Biden on Saturday tweeted about the enhanced commitment by India, Brazil, South Africa and the US towards G20.
Sep 09, 2023 08:25 PM IST
- “Together, the United States, India, Brazil, and South Africa reaffirm our shared commitment to the G20 – delivering solutions for our shared world,” he said.
- The four nations, as the G20's current and next three presidencies, called for building on the "historic progress" of India's G20 presidency to address global challenges.
- "We, the Leaders of India, Brazil, South Africa, and the United States, met on the margins of the G20 Leaders' Summit in New Delhi to reaffirm our shared commitment to the G20 as the premier forum for international economic cooperation to deliver solutions for our shared world," according to a joint statement.
- "As the G20's current and next three Presidencies, we will build on the historic progress of India's G20 Presidency to address global challenges," the statement said.
- In this spirit, together with the World Bank President, the four countries welcomed the G20's commitment to build better, bigger, and more effective multilateral development banks.
- "This commitment underscores what we can do, by working together through the G20, to support our people toward a better future," the statement said.
G20 Summit Declaration ‘very satisfactory’: French diplomatic sources
G20 Summit LIVE updates: French diplomatic sources on New Delhi G-20 Leaders' Summit Declaration: “This is a very satisfactory G20 declaration from our point of view.”
Sep 09, 2023 08:08 PM IST
- The Indian Presidency wanted to see a language of consensus emerge. To achieve a language of consensus on a subject as divisive as Ukraine, we had to be able to reaffirm what we said in Bali, which we have done by recalling the Bali conversation, we had to refer to the United Nations texts, which are indeed mentioned and then we had to affirm a few obvious points for us.
- But these are not necessarily obvious for everyone, a war of territorial conquest is unacceptable, the sovereignty and territorial integrity of States must be respected, and a just and lasting peace must respect these principles. All this is well incorporated in the text and, as was our main objective at this summit, enables us to look ahead to what should be the solution for a just and lasting peace at the end of the war in Ukraine.
- The statement says that all states must refrain from conquering territories by force. Russia is the only country to have done so. All this helps to build consensus for the future
G20 Summit: Watch | Rishi Sunak, wife Akshata arrive at Delhi's Bharat Mandapam for grand dinner
G20 Summit LIVE updates: UK PM Rishi Sunak, wife Akshata Murthy arrived at Delhi's Bharat Mandapam on Saturday for the grand G20 dinner, that is being hosted by President Droupadi Murmu.
Sep 09, 2023 07:45 PM IST
- The couple was received by PM Modi, Murmu at the entrance as they posed for photographs and shared candid moments before proceeding towards the main hall.
- More than 400 guests are set to attend the President dinner, where a diverse array of cuisines and splendid traditional performances await them.
G20 Summit: Guests arrive at Bharat Mandapam for President dinner
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Several guests arrived at Delhi's Bharat Mandapam on Saturday evening for the G20 dinner to be hosted by President Murmu.
PM Modi and Murmu were seen receiving the dignitaries and representatives at the G20 venue.
Leaders who have arrived so far:
- Spain’s Vice-President Nadia
- World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom
- Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte
- Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina
- Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong
- Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth and his wife Kobita Jugnauth
- World Bank president Ajay Banga
- Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi
- Secretary General of Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Mathias Cormann
More than 400 guests are expected to join the grand feast.Sep 09, 2023 07:31 PM IST
G20 Summit: WHO chief arrives for President dinner at Delhi's Bharat Mandapam
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Several leaders started arriving at Delhi's Bharat Mandapam on Saturday evening for the grand G20 dinner set to hosted by President Droupadi Murmu. World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom was also clicked with PM Modi, Murmu at the event ahead of the dinner.
Sep 09, 2023 07:19 PM IST
- A three-hour long performance, which an ensemble of artists from across the country have been perfecting since August 31, will be a part of the dinner being hosted by the President.
- The event will be attended by 400 guests from across the world.
G20 Summit: Droupadi Murmu arrives at Bharat Mandapam in Delhi for President dinner
G20 Summit LIVE updates: PM Modi and President Droupadi Murmu arrived at Bharat Mandapam in Delhi on Saturday evening where the grand G20 dinner will be hosted by Murmu.
Sep 09, 2023 07:09 PM IST
- Dignitaries from across the world in Delhi for the G20 summit will experience musical performances from 78 artists that will showcase India’s rich musical heritage using 34 Hindustani, 18 carnatic, and 40 folk instruments, officials said.
- A three-hour long performance, which an ensemble of artists from across the country have been perfecting since August 31, will be a part of the dinner being hosted by President Droupadi Murmu on September 9 in Delhi that will be attended by 400 guests from across the world.
- Six-year-old Rakshita, playing the violin, will be the youngest performer, while 56 years-old dhangali player Sonu Dhavalu Mhase is the oldest member of the ensemble. In total, the group consists of 11 children, 13 women, 6 differently abled (divyang) artists, 26 men and 22 professionals, officials familiar with the matter added.
‘Historical': Top leaders react to adoption of New Delhi Declaration at G20
G20 LIVE updates: In a massive breakthrough, the G20 member states on Saturday adopted a 100 percent consensus to the New Delhi Leaders' Summit Declaration, announced Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Calling it “historic and pathbreaking”, G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant said India's G20 Presidency “delivered phenomenal action on high ambitions for the world.”
Sep 09, 2023 06:55 PM IST
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar while addressing a press conference said the Declaration focuses on promoting strong, sustainable, balanced, and inclusive growth.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman thanked the G20 member nations for their “cooperation and support” towards the New Delhi Leaders' Declaration. Highlighting PM Modi's leadership, the minister said his “human-centric approach to global development had resonated strongly with the international community.”
G20 Summit LIVE: India proposes G20 satellite for climate observation
G20 Summit LIVE updates: India on Saturday proposed to launch a G20 Satellite Mission for Environment and Climate Observation, with an aim to help the countries of the global south.
Sep 09, 2023 06:22 PM IST
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi made the suggestion at the G20 Leaders' Summit at the Bharat Mandapam international convention centre here in the presence of world leaders including US President Joe Biden, UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa among others.
- Modi said the G20 satellite mission would be beneficial for all of humanity just as the data obtained from India's successful Chandrayaan moon mission.
G20 Summit: ‘Big deal’-Biden on India-Europe-Middle East corridor
G20 Summit LIVE updates: US president Joe Biden on Saturday hailed the proposed India-Europe-Middle East corridor as a “real big deal”.
Sources said it will be a historic and first of its kind initiative for cooperation on connectivity and infrastructure involving India, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, the Europian Union, France, Italy, Germany and the US.
The development comes amid the ongoing G20 summit which, in a major diplomatic breakthrough for India, agreed on a join declaration.Sep 09, 2023 06:10 PM IST
G20 Summit: The significance of wheel of Sun Temple of Konark
The iconic wheel at the Sun Temple of Konark in Odisha which served as backdrop for Prime Minister Narendra Modi welcoming with delegates on Saturday at the G20 Summit in Delhi apart is not just an architectural marvel, but has myriad significance, experts said.
Sep 09, 2023 06:01 PM IST
- The 13th century monument dedicated to the sun god Surya and shaped like a gigantic chariot with 7 horses on 12 pairs of beautifully decorated wheels has overwhelmed its many of its visitors with Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore describing it as a place “where the language of man is defeated by the language of stone”.
- Of all the parts of the World Heritage monument, the wheel remains the most celebrated symbol of the temple as it adorns several drawing rooms. Last month celebrity chef Vikas Khanna unveiled a replica of the wheel at the Times square of New York City. The wheel is also depicted on the back side of the currency notes of ₹10.
- Experts say the 12 pairs of wheels made of Khondalite stones signify the 12 months of the year and the 8 spokes on each of the wheels represent the 8 prahars or time divisions of the day.
- The 7 horses represent the days of a week and the 12 pairs of wheels represent the 12 months of the year and the 24 wheels indicate 24 hours of a day. As for 8 major spokes, they signify prahars (three hour period) of a day.
- The wheel has 8 wider or major spokes and 8 thinner or minor spokes. The distance between two major spokes is 3 hours while the same between a major spoke and a minor spoke is 90 minutes.
G20 Summit: 'Chaat', 'tadka dal' on lunch menu for spouses of world leaders
Amid the G20 Summit, the National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) on Saturday hosted a lavish luncheon and a splendid exhibition for the members of the family of heads of State. The culinary treat during their lunch break boasted a diverse array of cuisines, offering options such as 'Tadka dal' and 'chaat, straight from the bustling ‘streets of Delhi.’
Sep 09, 2023 05:48 PM IST
- Alongside these delights, they can also savor a range of cuisines that includes 'Pumpkin and Coconut Shorba,' 'Naga Black Rice Bhel,' 'Beetroot and Peanut Butter Tikki,' and 'Bengal Mustard,' among other delicacies. Further, it includes treats like ‘Anar Kulfi Sorbet’, ‘Slow Roast Pumpkin with Coconut Curry’, ‘Appalam’, ‘Wild Nettle Raita’, ‘Herb Jowar Roti’, ‘Coconut and Curry Leaf Pulao’, and a Haji Ali inspired dessert, the ‘Custard Apple Cream’.
G20 Summit: India Middle East Europe connectivity corridor to be launched soon- sources
India Middle East Europe connectivity corridor would be be launched soon, as per sources. This will be a historic and first of its kind initiative on cooperation on connectivity and infrastructure involving India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, EU, France, Italy, Germany and USA.Sep 09, 2023 05:30 PM IST
UK's Sunak says hard work needed to secure India trade deal
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said on Saturday he was confident a free trade deal with India could be secured but cautioned there was still hard work to do.
Sep 09, 2023 05:18 PM IST
- "There's a desire on both of our parts to see a successful trade deal concluded...but there is a lot of hard work that's still to go," Sunak told reporters after talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the gathering of the Group of 20 major economies in New Delhi.
- "There has to be a win-win for both countries."
- Negotiations on a trade deal began in January 2022 and have already missed several political deadlines. But recent comments from both Britain and India have suggested progress has been made.
G20 summit declaration drops condemnation of Russia's war in Ukraine
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Countries must refrain from use of force to seize territories, G20 countries said in a joint declaration at their summit in New Delhi on Saturday, avoiding any direct mention of Russia for the war in Ukraine.
"In line with the U.N. Charter, all states must refrain from the threat or use of force to seek territorial acquisition against the territorial integrity and sovereignty or political independence of any state," the leaders said in the statement.Sep 09, 2023 05:08 PM IST
G20 Summit: 5 key highlights from Leaders' Declaration
G20 Summit LIVE updates: The G20 members resolved to work with private sector to promote ease of doing business and reduce cost.
Sep 09, 2023 04:55 PM IST
- Use or threat of use of nuclear weapons is inadmissible
- G20 members recognise critical role of private enterprise in accelerating growth, driving sustainable economic transformations
- We commit to close gender gaps, promote full, equal, effective women's participation in economy as decision-makers
- We have opportunity to build better future, no country should have to choose between fighting poverty & fighting for planet
- We reiterated our national positions and resolutions adopted at UNSC and UNGA: G20 Declaration on Ukraine conflict.
G20 Summit: EAM S Jaishankar, finance minister, G20 Sherpa during session | Photo
G20 Summit LIVE updates: During a session, EAM S Jaishankar said Saturday that “G20 Declaration highlights transformation, inclusive role of technology with focus on digital public infrastructure.”
Sep 09, 2023 04:43 PM IST
- He said “G20 recognises post-pandemic world order must be different from one before it; leaders stressed on reinvigorating multilateralism.”
- Nirmala Sitharaman said “We assumed the presidency at a challenging time of geo-political tensions...Today I can confidently state that the Indian G-20 Presidency has walked the talk.”
G20 Summit LIVE: S Jaishankar speaks on African Union's membership
G20 Summit LIVE updates: “We have consciously sought to make this G20 as inclusive and broad-based as possible. It is a matter of particular satisfaction for us that the African Union this morning has become the permanent member of G20, under India’s presidency”: EAM S Jaishankar.Sep 09, 2023 04:33 PM IST
‘Historic G20 Declaration with 100% consensus’: G20 sherpa Amitabh Kant
G20 Summit LIVE updates: G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant on Saturday lauded the 'New Delhi G20 Leaders' Summit Declaration' and said “Historical and Path breaking #G20 Declaration with 100% consensus on all developmental and geo-political issues. The new geopolitical paras are a powerful call for Planet, People, Peace and Prosperity in todays world . Demonstrates PM Modi's leadership in today’s world.”
Sep 09, 2023 04:18 PM IST
- He also said “G20 India has been the MOST ambitious in the history of #G20 presidencies. With 112 outcomes and presidency documents, we have more than tripled the substantive work from previous presidencies.”
- He further outlined the focus of the declaration. "The NewDelhiLeadersDeclaration focuses on - Strong, Sustainable, Balanced, and Inclusive Growth, Accelerating Progress on SDGs, Green Development Pact for a Sustainable Future, Multilateral Institutions for the 21st Century, Reinvigorating Multilateralism.
G20 Summit LIVE: Tripura CM lauds hard work by every state during several meets
"Since India has got the presidency, every State has done a lot of hard work. PM Modi wanted that it not just be held in one place. It should be held in all the States. In Tripura, we had a Science-20 (G 20) meeting and we gave a very good presentation. The representatives who came appreciated us very much. Everyone started seeing the unsung areas in India because of this. It was possible due to G 20," Tripura CM Manik Saha told news agency ANI.Sep 09, 2023 04:12 PM IST
G20 Summit: Joe Biden and Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina share candid moment at event
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Amid the ongoing G20 summit in New Delhi, US president Joe Biden and Bangladesh leader Sheikh Hasina were spotted clicking a candid selfie at the event on Saturday.
Sep 09, 2023 04:01 PM IST
- The pictures surfaced moments after PM Modi announced that the G20 leaders have reached consensus and the summit declaration has been adopted.
- Modi, who is chairing the G20 sessions, congratulated the Sherpas and ministers who had worked towards forging the consensus.
- "I have received good news. Due to the hard work of our team, consensus has been built on New Delhi G20 Leaders' Summit Declaration. My proposal is to adopt this leadership declaration. I announce to adopt this declaration. On this occasion, I congratulate my Sherpa, ministers, who worked hard for it and made it possible,” he said.
- The announcement of adoption of the declaration was welcomed with thumping of desks.
G20 Summit LIVE: India makes clean energy push at with global biofuel alliance
G20 Summit LIVE updates: India announced on Saturday the launch of a global biofuel alliance at a G20 summit in New Delhi to boost the use of cleaner fuels.
Sep 09, 2023 03:51 PM IST
- The alliance would help accelerate global efforts to meet net zero emissions targets by facilitating trade in biofuels derived from sources including plant and animal waste.
- "We are launching the Global Biofuel Alliance. India invites all of you to join this initiative," Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in his remarks at the summit.
- The push for a biofuels alliance mirrors the International Solar Alliance launched by New Delhi and Paris in 2015.
G20 Summit LIVE: India's G20 presidency 'most ambitious' in history
G20 Summit LIVE updates: The central government on Saturday hailed India's ongoing G20 presidency as “historic” citing a number of achievements. “The Indian Presidency of the G20 has been the most ambitious and action oriented in all of G20 Presidencies,” the government said.
Sep 09, 2023 03:44 PM IST
- Under India, 73 outcomes (lines of effort) and 39 annexed documents were finalised (presidency documents, not including Working Group outcome documents).
- With 112 outcomes and presidency documents, India has more than doubled the substantive work from previous presidencies.
G20 Summit LIVE: India's footprint on G20 outcomes
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Five major declarations made during the 18th G20 summit under India's presidency.
Sep 09, 2023 03:35 PM IST
- Deccan High-Level Principles on Food Security and Nutrition
- Chennai High-Level Principles for Blue/Ocean Economy
- Goa Roadmap for Tourism
- Gandhinagar Implementation Roadmap for land restoration.
- Jaipur Call for Action to enhance MSMEs access to information
G20 Summit LIVE: PM Modi announces consensus on New Delhi G20 Leadership Declaration
G20 Summit LIVE updates: PM Modi on Saturday said the summit declaration of the G20 event has been adopted via common consensus.
Sep 09, 2023 03:28 PM IST
- There is good news, with everyone's cooperation consensus has been reached on New Delhi G20 Leadership Declaration: PM Modi.
- "Have just got the good news that due to the hard work of our teams and your cooperation, a consensus has been reached on New Delhi G20 Leaders Summit Declaration," Modi said while addressing the second session of the Summit at the Bharat Mandapam here.
- "It is my proposal that this G20 declaration be adopted," the prime minister said. After the approval of the members, Modi declared that it has been adopted.
- On this occasion I would like to thank our ministers, sherpas and all officials who made this possible with their hard work," he said
G20 Summit: Rishi Sunak to visit Delhi's Akshardham temple on Sunday
G20 Summit updates: Amid the ongoing G20 Summit in New Delhi, UK PM Rishi Sunak will pay a visit to Akshardham temple on Sunday.
Sep 09, 2023 03:22 PM IST
- Earlier, on his arrival, Sunak had spoken about a range of topics including his Hindu roots, Khalistan issue among other things.
- He arrived in India on Friday with his wife Akshata Murthy.
- PM Modi also held bilateral talks with Sunak on the sidelines of the summit in Saturday afternoon.
G20 Summit updates: PM Modi, other leaders pose for group photo during event
G20 Summit LIVE updates: PM Modi, Joe Biden and other leaders posed during a photo session in New Delhi on Saturday amid the G20 summit.
Sep 09, 2023 03:13 PM IST
- The leaders deliberated on various issues including climate change, development, food security among other agendas with two day the event having kickstarted earlier today.
- Amid the event, the leaders and diplomats also expressed condolences and support for Morocco after a devastating earthquake struck near tourist hotspot Marrakesh.
- Among other key developments, African Union was added a G20 member, giving push to its 'voice' on the intergovernmental forum.
- PM Modi also held bilateral talks with leaders including his UK counterpart Rishi Sunak and Japan's Kishida.
- On the sidelines, the spouses of G20 leaders were welcomed at Delhi's Pusa campus to attend an event designed for them to get introduced to India's culture.
G20 Summit LIVE: PM Modi, Japan's Kishida hold bilateral talks
G20 Summit LIVE updates: PM Modi and his Japanese counterpart Fumio Kishida held bilateral talks in New Delhi amid the ongoing G20 Summit on Saturday.
Sep 09, 2023 03:01 PM IST
- The highly anticipated two day G20 Leader's Summit began today in the country's capital city.
- The first session of the G20 Summit happened under this year's theme 'One Earth'.
- This global meeting, a culmination of various ministries, meetings and the engagement of different groups that happened throughout the year, aims to address key issues around the globe.
G20 Summit: All details about the venue hosting the grand event
G20 Summit LIVE updates: For the next two days, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Joe Biden, Britain's Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and other world leaders will gather at sprawling Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi's Pragati Maidan for the 18th G20 Summit beginning on Saturday, September 9.
– With the national capital spruced up and partly emptied of people for the mega world event, the host, India, scrambled for last-minute agreement on vexed issues including the Ukraine war, climate and global governance.
– All these agendas will be deliberated upon during the two day event, the detailed scheduled of which can be found here.Sep 09, 2023 02:52 PM IST
G20 Summit: PM Modi, Rishi Sunak hold bilateral talks
G20 Summit LIVE updates: PM Modi, his UK counterpart Rishi Sunak held bilateral talks on Saturday.
– Sunak arrived in Delhi on Friday with wife Akshata Murthy to attend the two day summit.
– Upon his arrival, the UK PM spoke to the media and addressed a range of topics including his Hindu roots, Khalistan issue, India hosting the event, among others.
– Earlier today, Akshata was spotted at the Delhi's Pusa campus, attending the grand millets events arranged for the spouses of G20 leaders, in a bid to introduce them to the culture and heritage of India.Sep 09, 2023 02:47 PM IST
G20 nations met only 54% of commitments in past 15 years: Report
G20 Summit LIVE updates: A Canada-based research group, which specialises in tracking multilateral summits such as G7, G20 and Brics (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa), has sent a battery of researchers to New Delhi to keep track of commitments made during the event.
– Its has the goal of bringing out a report card next year on how they deliver on a broad range of issues.
– The G20 Research Group (along with the G7 and Brics research groups) functions under the Global Governance Programme at the University of Toronto and has been keeping a record of commitments made by the leaders of the grouping and their fulfilment since 2008.
– According to data gathered by the group, only 54% of the more than 3,000 commitments collectively made by the G20 members during the last 15 years have been met in full.
– Earlier this month, the research group published the final compliance report on the G20 summit at Bali last year. According to the report, the European Union had the highest compliance with their leaders’ priority commitments at 97%, followed by Australia and Germany, 93%, and Canada, Korea and the United Kingdom at 90%. India and Argentina met 87% of the key commitments made by their leaders in Bali last year.Sep 09, 2023 02:40 PM IST
G20 Summit: European Union's statement post first session ‘One Earth’
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Statement by President of the European Commission (EU), Ursula von der Leyen at the first Session, ‘One Earth', of the G-20. "...In the next 5 years alone, the EU will invest at least 4 billion euros in renewable energy and hydrogen in developing economies through our Global Gateway plan...," the statement read.
– The statement also welcomed African Union's membership to the intergovernmental forum.
– “Food security is a victim of Russia's agression on Ukraine. We call on Russia to allow grain from Ukraine to reach global markets via the Black Sea.”Sep 09, 2023 02:29 PM IST
G20 Summit: Akshata Murthy, other G20 guests spotted at millets event in Delhi's Pusa campus
G20 Summit LIVE updates: The first ladies and spouses of G20 leaders, including businesswoman Akshata Murthy, on Saturday visited the sprawling Pusa campus of IARI in Delhi.
– A curated tour of the 1,200-acre Pusa-IARI campus, the cradle of the green revolution in India, has been organised for the first ladies and spouses of the leaders attending the G20 Summit to help them learn about India's rich agricultural heritage and taste a millet-based feast prepared by renowned celebrity chefs.
– They will have a unique opportunity to savour a millet-based feast prepared live by renowned celebrity chefs, including Kunal Kapur, Ajay Chopra and Anahita Dhondy.
– Joining these chefs will be two culinary experts from the ITC group -- Kusha Mathur and Nikita Mehra.Sep 09, 2023 02:18 PM IST
G20 Summit: Spanish leaders says G20 nations agreed on push for greater contribution to climate agendas
G20 Summit LIVE updates: Spain’s Vice-President Nadia Calvino: “There has been a very strong call for multilateralism and confidence in our joint ability to cooperate and to work together to face global challenges such as climate change.”
– "The discussion this morning has been focussed on this and the welcome of the African Union, joining the G20. There was a joint agreement to fulfil the commitments made in Paris and in the different international Summits. There was a joint commitment to contribute to the upcoming CoP28 meeting..."Sep 09, 2023 02:11 PM IST
G20 Summit: French President Emmanuel Macron arrives in Delhi
India G-20 Summit LIVE updates: French President Emmanuel Macron arrived in Delhi for the G-20 Summit on Saturday afternoon.Sep 09, 2023 02:01 PM IST
‘Time of challenges, world looking to G20 to provide leadership’: UK PM Rishi Sunak
UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Saturday said that the world is looking to G20 to provide leadership and that the leaders are meeting at a time of enormous challenges.
Sunak, who is taking part in G20 Summit here, expressed confidence that the leaders will be together able to address the challenges.
"15 years ago, #G20 leaders came together for the first time to restore global growth after the financial crisis. We meet at a time of enormous challenges – the world is looking to the G20 once again to provide leadership. Together I believe we can address these challenges," Sunak said in a post on X.Sep 09, 2023 01:45 PM IST
EU commission chief asks G20 to join global carbon pricing
The European Commission president asked G20 leaders on Saturday to join a proposal to set up global carbon pricing.
Many countries are using a price on carbon to help meet their climate goals in the form of a tax or under an emissions trading (ETS), or cap-and-trade, system.
"Climate change is man-made. So it means we can address it. For this we need innovation, investments in green technologies, renewable energy capacity and energy efficiency ... At the G20 I invited leaders to join the call for global carbon pricing," Ursula von der Leyen wrote on X.Sep 09, 2023 01:44 PM IST
G20 Summit LIVE: African Union expresses 'great pain' over Morocco quake
The head of the African Union Commission on Saturday expressed "great pain" over the devastating earthquake in Morocco which has claimed more than 600 lives.
"I learnt with great sadness of the tragic consequences of the earthquake that hit the kingdom of Morocco," Moussa Faki Mahamat said, expressing his "sincere condolences" to the king, the Moroccan people and the families of the victims.Sep 09, 2023 01:42 PM IST
Been a productive morning at the G20 Summit in Delhi, says PM ModiSep 09, 2023 01:33 PM IST
G20 Summit LIVE: Highlighted the need to further human centric development, tweets PM ModiSep 09, 2023 01:30 PM IST
G20 Summit: US, India, Saudi Arabia, UAE, EU set to unveil railway, ports connectivity deal
A shipping and rail transportation corridor linking countries across the Middle East, South Asia and Europe is likely to be announced on the sidelines of the ongoing G20 Summit in New Delhi, a White House official has said.
The United States, India, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the European Union and other G20 partners are set to explore the shipping and rail transportation corridor, which is aimed at aiding in the flow of commerce, energy and data from India across the Middle East up to Europe.
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) is expected to be announced at a meeting focused on global infrastructure on the sidelines of the G20 today according to White House Deputy National Security Advisor Jon Finer.
The leaders are meeting to discuss the global economy and supply chain challenges, among other issues facing the global community.
This agreement after it is inked could be seen as an alternate supply chain in a completely evolved post-pandemic world order.Sep 09, 2023 01:29 PM IST
G20 Summit LIVE: Turkey's Erdogan spoke with Japan's Kishida to revive Black Sea grain deal
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan held talks with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida at the G20 leaders' summit in New Delhi on reviving the Black Sea grain deal, two sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Saturday.
Russia quit the deal in July - a year after it was brokered by the United Nations and Turkey - complaining that its own food and fertiliser exports faced obstacles and that not enough Ukrainian grain was going to countries in need.Sep 09, 2023 01:28 PM IST
India circulates new paragraph among G20 nations to describe Ukraine crisis in leaders' declaration
India on Saturday circulated a new paragraph among the G20 countries to describe the Ukraine conflict in the joint leaders' declaration to be unveiled at the end of the two-day summit of the grouping, diplomatic sources said.
With consensus eluding on the paragraph relating to the Ukraine conflict, India on Friday circulated a draft summit declaration among the member countries without the paragraph on the geopolitical issue in an attempt to hammer out a positive outcome.
India's circulation of the new text on Ukraine came as the G20 leaders began deliberations on pressing global challenges on the first day of the annual summit of the bloc.Story SavedLive Score