Group clashes leave 2 dead and 2 critically injured in Odisha
- Rout and Besra families were at daggers drawn over irrigation of respective farmlands for some time now, said police.
At least two persons were killed and two others critically injured in a fierce clash between two groups over past enmity in a village of western Odisha district of Bolangir on Saturday evening.
Police officials said Dhanamata Rout of Baharpada village under Tusura police station area of the district got into a fight with Sripati Besra, a Dalit, while the latter was grazing a herd of goats Saturday afternoon. Dhanamata attacked Besra with a spade, leaving him critically injured. Besra was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment where doctors declared him brought dead.
Tusura police station inspector Jasobanta Pradhani said a group of villagers from Harijanpada barged into Dhanamata's house later in the evening and hacked him to death. Other members of Dhanamata's family have been critically injured in the fatal group clash. Some members of Dhanamata's family managed to flee to a safe location.
Rout and Besra families were at daggers drawn over irrigation of respective farmlands.
Also Read: Odisha govt plans to launch employment scheme for urban poor
Of the four injured, the health condition of Brahma Suna and Karma Suna is said to be critical. They have been shifted to Veer Surendra Sai Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (VIMSAR) in Burla after their condition deteriorated.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Imran Khan insisted that he wouldn’t abandon his campaign against corruption even if loses the trust vote.
- Indore was ranked the ninth-best city among cities with over a million population.
- Pradhan, who has written at least three letters to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik demanding immediate implementation of 27 per cent quota for OBC category, in a statement said that his demand for reservation in jobs and education remain unaddressed till date.
- General Bipin Rawat said the Indian armed forces face greater challenges than any other military in the world and India urgently needs to bring about structural reforms in higher defence and operational organisations.
- The bills passed by the assembly are the Arunachal Pradesh Civil Courts Bill, the Arunachal Pradesh Goods and Service Tax (Amendment) Bill, the Arunachal Pradesh Ease of Doing Business Bill and the Arunachal Pradesh Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill.
- Akhilesh Yadav launched a similar attack against EVMs during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections citing news clippings on malfunctioning of EVMs.
- Launched in 2018, the ranking has assumed importance over the years in shaping government policies and determining expenditure priorities. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been emphasizing the ease of living along with the ease of doing business as a key policy priority.
- Odisha had announced 27% reservation for the OBC/SEBC category in government jobs in 2008 but later slashed it to 11.25% after it violated a Supreme Court cap of 50% on quota.