NIA arrests president of PDP’s youth wing
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday arrested the president of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) youth wing in connection with the case against a senior Jammu and Kashmir police officer who was arrested in January while ferrying two suspected terrorists in a car, said agency officials familiar with the matter.
Waheed ur Rehman Parra’s arrest came after two days of interrogation at the New Delhi headquarters of the NIA, which summoned him because, it said, his name had surfaced during its probe of the case against deputy superintendent of police Davinder Singh.
In Srinagar, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti termed the arrest blackmail and said Parra had been falsely implicated in the case against Singh, who was arrested in January 11 while travelling on the national highway to Jammu in his car along with three men, two of whom were described as Hizbul Mujahideen militants
PDP president, Mehbooba Mufti termed the arrest as black mail and said he had been falsely implicated.
”Waheed has no connection whatsoever with this man & is being falsely charged. All just to blackmail & intimidate PDP & other mainstream political parties in J&K,” she said, criticising the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) at the Centre
“BJP milks illegal scrapping of Article 370 in every nook & corner of the country. But when it comes to Kashmiris questioning its abrogation they are locked up & punished. Everyone knows at whose behest Davinder Singh worked for. Ironic that they have the gall to blame others,” the former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister wrote in a tweet.
Parra is contesting the District Development Council election from South Kashmir’s Pulwama. Besides being chief of the PDP’s youth wing, he is considered to be close to Mufti and has a strong base among the young in south Kashmir, where he played a pivotal role in organising the party’s public programmes.
Parra is the first politician to be arrested in the case against Davinder Singh.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Since January 16, a total of 10,514 healthcare workers have been vaccinated in Uttarakhand in 171 sessions.
- The PM is scheduled to address a public rally at Jerenga Pathar in Sivasagar district on Saturday and distribute land allotment certificates to over 1,06,000 landless people.
- The petitioner, had joined the 3-year law course at Law Centre-II of the Faculty of Law, Delhi University in August 2016. She was a married woman who attended the evening law course and successfully cleared three semesters. In the fourth semester, she became pregnant and could not attend classes.
- The child-friendly police station has been developed under an initiative by the state commission for protection of child rights and police to provide a friendly environment to the children on the streets to prevent them from stepping into the world of crime.
- The BJP chief directed the volunteers to keep reminding people of the good work done by the state and central governments on social media since public memory was known to be short.