Video of jail guard assaulting Chhattisgarh doctor goes viral, doctors on strike
- The state police has registered an FIR against Rao and started investigation
Enraged over the assault on a doctor at Bhim Rao Ambedkar Hospital, Raipur by a jail guard, the Junior Doctor’s Association of Raipur boycotted routine out-patient department (OPD) services along with all elective procedures on Tuesday.
The association further said if no satisfactory action is taken against the jail guard in the next 24-hours, the doctors will withdraw from all emergency services from Wednesday. The association is demanding immediate termination of the accused jail guard and strict action against duty police officers. A letter in this regard was written to the dean of Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College by Indresh Yadav, the president of Junior Doctor’s Association.
On Monday, a jail guard, Shatrughan Rao assaulted a doctor after a verbal spat over the alleged delay in attending a prisoner, a Maoist.The video of the spat went viral on social media. Subsequently, doctors and technicians staged a dharna outside Maudhapara police station demanding action.
Chhattisgarh health minister TS Deo tweeted to say that orders for strict action against the accused has been given.
"The video of the ruckus at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Raipur is very shocking and unacceptable. Orders have been issued for strict action against the jail guard involved and also for a transparent investigation of complete matter," said Deo
He went on to say that the matter will be treated with "total seriousness" and any violence or ill behavior against our health workers is "totally intolerable".
Meanwhile, talks between the dean and the association were going on since Monday.
Later, police registered an FIR against Rao and started investigation. Raipur's superintendent of police, (SP), Ajay Yadav said action has been taken after the incident on Monday.
“We have booked the accused jail guard under section 186 and 353 IPC and other laws of Chhattisgarh government. Investigation is going on in the case,” said Yadav.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In MP, the positivity rate increased to 2.3% on Thursday and there are 2,435 active cases in the state.
- CSE’s director general Sunita Narian said Covid-19 had made the world’s poor poorer.
- This was the first formal contact between Jaishankar and Wang since they met on the margins of a Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting in Moscow on September 10 last year, and it came days after India and China pulled back frontline troops from strategic heights around Pangong Lake.
- Aparna Purohit was accused of the inappropriate depiction of UP police personnel, Hindu deities and adverse portrayal of a character playing the PM.
- PM Modi was in the two-poll bound neighbouring regions to launch a slew of infrastructure projects meant to give his regional allies a fillip.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- According to a press release by the ministry of health, Kerala has administered the second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine to 85.09 per cent of the beneficiaries.