10 fall ill after inhaling gas in Jharkhand
At least 10 people were taken ill after inhaling methane gas leaking from a colliery.india Updated: May 23, 2007 11:10 IST
At least 10 people were taken ill on Wednesday after inhaling methane gas leaking from a colliery in Jharkhand's Dhanbad district, police said.
The gas leak was reported early morning from the Bathdih colliery of Bharat Coking Coal Ltd (BCCL) in Dhanbad, around 240 km from Jharkand.
The 10 people of Barari Basti area who fell ill have been admitted to hospital. Two of then are said to be in critical condition.
BCCL officials have rushed to the site to take stock of the situation. Rescue operations have also been launched to evacuate nearby areas.
"Gas leaks are often reported in this area. We have served several notices to the residents to vacate the area but they don't take our warnings seriously," a BCCL official said.
Last year 50 miners had died in a powerful blast following leakage of methane gas in another BCCL colliery.
First Published: May 23, 2007 11:04 IST