Bahrain fire: Survivors move to camps
The 197 Indian workers who survived the blaze in Bahrain have been moved to a makeshift camp.india Updated: Aug 01, 2006 12:39 IST
The 197 Indian workers who survived the blaze in Bahrain which killed 16 people, have been moved to a makeshift camp here without adequate facilities and have alleged that their company has not paid them the promised compensation.
Workers of the Bahraini firm Royal Tower Construction Company, most of them from Tamil Nadu, who survived the fire in a labour camp on Sunday, have been moved to a makeshift camp withoutACs or running water.
The workers from the Gudaibiya labour camp blaze arrived here to stay in a building under construction, with just four rooms cleared to accommodate 197 of them.
"A generator provided power for lighting and ceiling fans, but it went off within a few hours, leaving workers to spend the rest of the night in pitch darkness and stifling humidity," one of the workers said.
Later, officials from the company arrived with generators, restoring power to the site and also began installing airconditioners.
"Two cooler-sized bottles of water were provided to be shared by all of them. Their employer, Royal Tower Construction, provided each of the workers with rice in a plastic bag and plastic tubs of curry, which they had to eat without plates or cutlery," a media report said.
Some of the workers washed in the nearby sea, the first time they had been able to clean up since the blaze.
The workers also claimed the company had not yet paid the BD3, which it had promised it would give each worker every two days, for food.