Bayern make a bid for hot-shot Klose
The German giants reveal they have made a 'generous' bid for Werder Bremen's World Cup top-scorer Miroslav Klose.india Updated: Jun 10, 2007 18:52 IST
Big-spending German giants Bayern Munich revealed on Sunday they have made a "generous" bid for Werder Bremen's World Cup top-scorer Miroslav Klose.
The Bundesliga powerhouse have already splashed out a reported 36 million euros this summer for French midfielder Franck Ribery and Italian World Cup winner Luca Toni alone.
Talented 21-year-old German defender Marcell Jansen has also joined Bayern, but the Munich side are very keen to get his national teammate Klose.
The 29-year-old top-scorer at last year's World Cup has already admitted he will join Bayern when his Bremen contract expires in June 2008, but Munich want him in their squad when the new Bundesliga season starts in August.
"We've made Werder Bremen a formal offer for Miroslav Klose, a generous offer too. The final decision is now entirely up to Werder," said Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness on the Bayern website.
But Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has said the club will not break the bank for the German hot-shot.
"Naturally, it should be clear to everyone that Bayern will not accept demands of 15 or 20 million euro for a player who only has a year left on his contract."
Klose himself has hinted he could well be playing in the famous red shirt next season, "If it does come about that I end up playing for Bayern next season, I'd obviously be delighted about that as well."
Klose and Brazilian winger Ze Roberto are the final two big-names Bayern want on their roster for next season and Hoeness admitted their recruitment drive - seven players have been signed so far - is finally coming to an end.
Ze Roberto, 32, who announced he had quit international football last weekend, has left Brazilian side Santos and his return to Bayern - he spent four years in Munich - is expected within the next few days.
"I'm keeping my mobile switched on while I'm on holiday," Hoeness said.
"We've spent a great deal of money this season.
"There was a real thrill of the chase. I have visited Florence, Paris and plenty of other European cities on my travels to recruit our squad, my wife hasn't seen a lot of me in recent weeks."
With Bayern set to miss out on a Champions League place next season for the first time in 10 years after finishing fourth in the Bundesliga last season, the fact they can still attract big names shows their status has not suffered.
"We have actually turned down some big-name players this summer, people have sat up and taken notice," said Hoeness, who is eager to give Bayern coach Ottmar Hitzfeld a squad more than capable of winning the UEFA Cup and Bundesliga.
"They saw what we're creating here in Munich, and suddenly they all wanted to be part of it."