Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 16, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Blast damages house in Harsola

A HOUSE in village Harsola was partly damaged last night when there was an explosion as the owner unlocked the main door. Walls on three sides, as well as the doors and windows collapsed along with part of the roof due to the impact of the blast.

india Updated: Feb 03, 2006 00:51 IST

A HOUSE in village Harsola was partly damaged last night when there was an explosion as the owner unlocked the main door. Walls on three sides, as well as the doors and windows collapsed along with part of the roof due to the impact of the blast.

No causality was reported, as there was no one in the house at the time of the blast. Though police said the blast was caused by a leaking LPG cylinder, the owner claimed it was a bid to kill all members of the family.

Last night at about 9.30 pm, Gendalal son of Shiv Narayan Harod returned home after working in the fields, while other members of the family went to the house of a relative nearby to watch television. As soon as he unlocked the door and stepped inside, there was a huge explosion and Gendalal was thrown some distance.

The explosion was so loud that it was even heard in village Panda, which is about five km from Harsola. The debris was thrown up to a distance of about half a kilometre. Soon after the blast, villagers gathered and helped Gendalal back to his feet.

The matter was immediately reported to Kishanganj police and Tehsildar Prabhat Kabra along with his team reached the spot to assess the damage and ascertain the reasons that caused the blast.

Police believe that the explosion was caused due to a leaking LPG cylinder. Talking to the Hindustan Times today, Kishanganj TI Chetan Singh Tanwar said that the explosion was caused by a leaking LPG cylinder that ignited when Gendalal switched on the lights.

However, on inspection of the site the LPG cylinder, stove and the steel and glass utensils were found intact and had not even moved from the place they were kept. Also, had the explosion occurred due to bursting of the LPG cylinder, maximum damage would have been caused in the kitchen. But, the least damage was noticed in the kitchen.

Moreover, as per Gendalal and other residents, there was no power at the time of the incident, so there was no question of ignition due to switching on of the lights.

Gendalal told Hindustan Times that he feared that it was a man-made explosion and was aimed at killing all members of the family, as normally all are at home at that time. It was sheer good luck that nobody was home at the time of explosion.

First Published: Feb 03, 2006 00:51 IST