Drought-like situation in Maharashtra
Worried over drought-like situation in Maharashtra, Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Tuesday appealed to the people to ration use of drinking water.
"Even the Meteorological Department has warned that there will be less than normal rainfall in the state, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh and people should use water meticulously", Deshmukh told reporters on the eve of the monsoon session of the state legislature.
Deshmukh said he was 'personally satisfied' with the implementation of central government's loan waiver package in the state.
"Almost 37.51 lakh farmers in Maharashtra have benefitted from the package and received relief to the tune of Rs 7,767 crore", the Chief Minister said.
The government would set up district-level committee on implementation of a government resolution on providing 80 per cent jobs to locals, he said in response to a query.
On the 'threats' issued by MNS chief Raj Thackeray to principals of English medium schools on making Marathi compulsory language from first standard, Deshmukh said Raj has no right to issue these directives.
Bills to be introduced during the session include those on cotton seeds, sea fishing, domestic workers, money-lenders and also one on SEZs as approved by the central government, he said.
Bills to be reintroduced include one on self-finance schemes and witchcraft abolition.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sangma said the mineral, weighing truckloads, which were dumped in a scattered manner, were being tallied.
- ‘Khukuri’ a brand of Nepalese cigarette has captured the market in the border areas of US Nagar, Champawat and Pithoragarh. Over 90% of smokers prefer to purchase and smoke this not due to taste but its cheap prices, said an official.
- In 2016, the Supreme Court had placed a ban on animal fights during religious and cultural festivals.
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.