Film on Nithari hits a roadblock
A film being made on the Nithari serial killings faces a storm with main accused Moninder Singh Pandher’s lawyer terming the film as illegal and a violation of rights, reports Kapil Datta.india Updated: Oct 24, 2007 02:28 IST
A film being made on the Nithari serial killings has come into the eye of a storm with main accused Moninder Singh Pandher’s lawyer terming the film as illegal and a violation of rights.
“We are planning to take legal action to stop the shooting of the film as it is illegal to shoot a film on a living person without taking his or her permission. Moreover the matter is sub-judice and the Director has not taken any permission from the Court either.” Said Manoj Gupta, counsel for Pandher.
Meanwhile the families of Nithari Victims too feel that the film will disturb them as it will bring back horrid memories of the incident.
Pappu Lal, father of one of the Victims said that he would like to make an appeal to all those concerned to stop the process of filming a subject like this.
He thinks it is too sensitive an issue to be brought on celluloid.
NGOs supporting these families also echoed similar feelings. “The release of a film on Nithari serial killings may disturb the peace in the area and fresh violence may emanate. Society, instead of cashing in on issues like these, should help victims get justice,” said S.C.Mishra, a social worker.
The director of the film Yogi, when contacted by HT, said, “I have not received any legal notice from any advocate so far. Moreover we are making a film on the basis of facts, which have already been made public.
“We do not want to interfere in the Court judgment. It is just a film depicting, violence, emotions at the same time exposing the serial killings. We will continue shooting and when we receive a legal notice our lawyers will reply.”
The film titled D-5 starring bollywood veteran Raza Murad in the role of Pandher along with actors Ali Khan, Gopal Singh and Rubi is set for a January release.