Fire at Agra market, shops severely damaged
Fire fighters battled till Saturday morning to put out a blaze that broke out at the Jatni Bagh commercial complex in Agra at about midnight and reduced some shops to ashes, police said.
The fire broke out at a firecracker godown owned by Manoj Jain after an electrical short circuit. It soon engulfed neighbouring shops stocked with foam and leather.
Many shops were severely damaged and some were completely gutted by about 6 am, when the fire was finally put out. Police officials said the local fire brigade was supported by fire tenders sent by the army and Mathura oil refinery.
Shopkeepers said the inferno had caused damage of property and goods worth nearly Rs 1.5 million.