Ganguly will play in Kanpur

Published on Nov 19, 2004 01:46 AM IST

It's official. Sourav Ganguly has got a temporary reprieve from the International Cricket Council (ICC) which cleared him to play the Kanpur Test, beginning on Saturday. And he will have to thank Tim Castle for that.

HT Image
HT Image
PTI | By, Kolkata

It's official. Sourav Ganguly has got a temporary reprieve from the International Cricket Council (ICC) which cleared him to play the Kanpur Test, beginning on Saturday. And he will have to thank Tim Castle for that.

The man sitting in judgment on Ganguly's appeal against the two-Test ban had wanted a teleconference involving the India skipper but the earliest that could be arranged was Saturday morning. In other words, that was hours before he would have gone out to toss with Graeme Smith. Castle thought that was inappropriate and unfair on the player and hence deferred it to after the Test. His decision was endorsed by ICC CEO Malcolm Speed.

Conveying the news to the Hindustan Times from London, Brendan McClements, ICC's General Manager (corporate affairs), said the teleconference would now be held on November 25, two days after the Test ends assuming of course it goes the distance. All parties consented to delaying the matter until after the scheduled finish of the game.

Speed ruled that since the appeal was not being determined before the game, Ganguly was cleared to play. The skipper was also informed that the video tape of Saturday's match hasn't yet reached Castle even though it was sent on Monday evening.

That and Castle's desire to speak for a tele-conference with "the parties involved" meant that the matter couldn't be resolved before the Test began.

McClements also confirmed that an appeal from Ganguly, which followed up on his intent to appeal sent on Monday, had reached the ICC and has  already been routed to Castle in Wellington. The appeal, said to be nine-pages long and often embellished by what television commentators were saying on the heavy dew that often impeded proceedings, was filed after Ganguly watched the video recording of the Pakistan innings.  Ganguly's statement, it was learnt, was an elaboration of what he had already sent: That the loss of time was influenced by factors well beyond his control.

Get Latest India Newsalong with Latest Newsand Top Headlinesfrom India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Dhiman Sarkar is based in Kolkata with over two decades as a sports journalist. He writes mainly on football.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, December 01, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals