Govt blind to 184 kids missing in Uttarakhand floods
The Uttarakhand government had no record of 184 children who went missing after the June 2013 flash floods in the state, the state child rights commission has said in a report.india Updated: Jan 29, 2014 00:45 IST
The Uttarakhand government had no record of 184 children who went missing after the June 2013 flash floods in the state, the state child rights commission has said in a report.
In a report on the flash floods that hit Uttarakhand — leaving over a lakh people stranded at religious places — the commission pulled up the state government on not having any record of the missing children even two months after the calamity.
“As the state government was not able to provide complete information, the commission had to seek information from non-government organizations,” the commission said in its report.
The report also highlighted the contradiction that while the state administration said 491 children were missing, the police put this figure to 575. In all, 1066 children were affected by the tragedy.
Most of the children whose records were not available were from the lower economic strata and were engaged in petty jobs related to the Kedarnath pilgrimage.
“Most of them became first casualty of the flash floods that hit the region and the state government made no effort to trace them,” said Rakesh Senger of child rights group Bachpan Bachao Andolan.
NCPCR members shortlisted
New Delhi: Child rights activists have expressed resentment at the way the Women and Child Development (WCD) ministry has gone about finalizing members to National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), the countyr’s key child rights panel.
Five posts of members in NCPCR fell vacant last year after the incumbent members’ term got over.
On Monday, a three member selection panel headed by Krishna Tirath, Women and Child Development (WCD) minister finalized five names for the position. These include Jarjum Eta, Deepika Shrivastava, Preet Verma, Bhuwan Ribhu and Dr Yogesh Dube.
The ministry had put the names if the shortlisted candidates online to invite objections and comments from the general public. The last date for giving comment is February 26.
“The ministry has not followed the basic transparency norms in the light of the decisions of the Delhi High Court which said that guidelines should be drafted before appointments to the post of NCPCR member is made,. Nobody knows how many members have applied, what process was adapted to shortlist the present candidates” said Raj Mangal Prasad of Pratidhi, a non government organization working on child rights.
First Published: Jan 28, 2014 23:56 IST