ICC reject Akhtar appeal against ban
Shoaib Akhtar has lost his appeal against a three-match ban, imposed for using offensive language while playing against South Africa last week, the ICC said on Wednesday.india Updated: Oct 23, 2003 12:19 IST
Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has lost his appeal against a three-match ban, imposed for using offensive language while playing against South Africa last week, the International Cricket Council said on Wednesday.
Akhtar will miss Pakistan's second Test against South Africa in Faisalabad, starting on Friday, and the first two one-day internationals against New Zealand in November.
He had been included in the second Test squad despite the ban and fitness problems. Pakistan won the first test.
The ban was imposed by match referee Clive Lloyd following an incident involving Akhtar and South Africa bowler Paul Adams on the first day of the first Test last Friday, when Akhtar was found guilty of using bad language.
"It seems to me that Mr Lloyd correctly followed the Code of Conduct rules in every way after Shoaib Akhtar accepted, and said, he was guilty," said ICC Code of Conduct Commissioner Richie Benaud in a statement.
It is Akhtar's second ban this year after he was suspended in May for two one-day internationals and fined during the triangular one-day tournament in Sri Lanka for tampering with the ball.
First Published: Oct 22, 2003 18:43 IST