Mumbai Police says it is ready to face '93 riot heat
The City Police Commissioner DN Jadhav asks for 3 months to answer uneasy queries, report Debasish Panigrahi and Ketaki Ghoge.india Updated: Aug 07, 2007 10:09 IST
The Mumbai police are ready to answer uneasy questions on the 1992-’93 Mumbai riots which left more than 900 dead and triggered serial blasts in the city.
City Police Commissioner DN Jadhav on Monday said his force would, in three months, respond to the “specific lapses” brought to notice by an array of petitioners in the Supreme Court (SC), who cited recommendations of the report on the riots submitted in 1998 by former Bombay High Court judge BN Srikrishna. The police reaction comes after an upsurge in public opinion demanding the riot perpetrators be brought to justice after blasts convictions ended last week. <b1>
Jadhav said on Monday the SC had allotted six weeks to petitioners for submitting “specific lapses” on action taken against police officials and politicians for their alleged role in the riots.
“After all the claims were submitted in the stipulated period, we will respond to them in a systematic manner. Wherever any lapse was found, it will be addressed immediately. Once our action is complete, we will submit our report to the court,” Jadhav said.
He added that the exercise would take three months. Jadhav said a Mumbai police committee headed by Rakesh Maria, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), would look into the alleged lapses. He assured: “Total transparency will be maintained.”
The police have a tough task if cases are re-opened. “We will have to look at cases that are 15 years old and it won’t be easy,” said state police chief PS Pasricha.
Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh had said on August 2: “If there is evidence, the cases can be re-opened. Let them first bring these instances to our notice.”