Owner of bike used in Bangalore blast traced, says Shinde
Investigators probing the Bangalore blast have tracked down the owner of the motorcycle where the bomb was planted but no one has been arrested so far in connection with yesterday's explosion.india Updated: Apr 18, 2013 19:33 IST
Investigators probing the Bangalore blast have tracked down the owner of the motorcycle where the bomb was planted but no one has been arrested so far in connection with Wednesday's explosion.
Home minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday said that with the help of the Tamil Nadu Police, the first buyer of the motorcycle has been traced and then the second buyer and from there they traced the third person who bought the bike.
"So far, we have not come to any conclusion about the people behind yesterday's blast. Investigation is such a matter that we cannot say we can do within a definite period of time. But I assure the nation that we will book the culprits, we will book the perpetrators and we are on that way," he said at a press conference in New Delhi.
He, however, said so far no one has been arrested.
Shinde said the Home ministry has been alerting all states for the last two-three months that there was a possibility of a terror attack being carried out in places where such incidents had taken place in the past and also in metro cities.
He also referred to the blast at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore exactly three years ago.
Asked about the nature of explosives used in Wednesday's blast, Shinde said improvised explosive devices were used.
He also dismissed the suggestion that the explosion was an attempt to disrupt the democratic process in Karnataka where assembly elections will be held next month. The home minister said no specific alert has been issued to any state about the possibility of targeting of any religious place but general alerts have been issued.
"Whenever we have any specific information, we immediately share with the concerned state government," he said.
Asked whether the probe will be handed over to the NIA whose teams are helping the Bangalore police, Shinde said no decision has been taken on it as the central government will have to seek the consent of the state government before taking a call.
The home minister also refused to draw a parallel between the twin blasts in Hyderabad on February 21 and Wednesday's explosion in Bangalore.
"It cannot not be said who was responsible for Hyderabad blasts," he said.
Asked whether there was any specific threat to Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi as suggested by a section of the media, the home minister said he had no such information.
First Published: Apr 18, 2013 19:31 IST