Pakistan threatens to sue SA | india | Hindustan Times
  • Sunday, Jul 22, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pakistan threatens to sue SA

Pakistan on Monday threatened to sue South Africa for 3.5 million dollars in losses from their cricket tour cancellation, unless the International Cricket Council (ICC) intervened to force a rethink by the Proteas. ?The ICC must keep in mind the loss Pakistan cricket would suffer due to South Africa?s pullout,? Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Tauqir Zia said in a letter to ICC president Ehsan Mani.

india Updated: Sep 23, 2003 02:51 IST
Karachi
Karachi
PTI

Pakistan on Monday threatened to sue South Africa for 3.5 million dollars in losses from their cricket tour cancellation, unless the International Cricket Council (ICC) intervened to force a rethink by the Proteas.

“The ICC must keep in mind the loss Pakistan cricket would suffer due to South Africa’s pullout,” Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Tauqir Zia said in a letter to ICC president Ehsan Mani.

The PCB estimates it will lose 3.5 million dollars in sponsorship and television rights from South Africa’s last minute cancellation.

If the ICC fails to intervene, the PCB will take South Africa to the council’s dispute committee to claim losses, Zia said.

The Proteas called off their tour on Saturday, one day before they were due to depart for Pakistan, in the wake of a minor bomb blast in an empty Karachi office building on Friday night. No one was injured in the blast.

The United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) said security in Pakistan had deteriorated to an unacceptable level, and offered to either play the series outside Pakistan or delay the tour until security improved.

The PCB, however, has refused to play the series away from home and is seeking to resurrect the tour by changing venues and postponing it by one week.

“We have already written to UCBSA suggesting postponement by a week and excluding Karachi as a venue. A copy of rescheduled tour has also been sent to the ICC,” Zia’s letter said.

“We expect ICC to intervene and instruct UCBSA to cooperate and take the tour as planned.”

The South African pullout has triggered a wave of bitter disappointment across the cricket-mad Islamic republic, which has been starved of international cricket for 15 months.

A wave of violence against Western and Christian targets last year has kept foreign teams away since May 2002, when a suicide bomber blew up a busload of French naval engineers outside the New Zealand cricket team’s hotel.

Rameez may visit South Africa

PCB is exploring the possibility of sending its Chief Executive, Ramiz Raja to South Africa by tomorrow to convince the United Cricket Board of South Africa and its players’ association to review their decision to cancel their tour of Pakistan.

The possibility of sending Raja was discussed yesterday between PCB Chairman Lt General Tauqir Zia and Raja but no final decision has been taken.

“The feeling is that Rameez would stand a very good chance of having fruitful negotiations with the South Africans across the table rather than on telephone or through video conferencing,” PCB officials were quoted as saying by ‘The News’. Agencies