Budget session | As it happened: Show Agusta order copy, BJP asks Cong
Seeking to corner Congress over allegations of corruption in the AgustaWestland deal, BJP on Wednesday sought an explanation from Congress, while the opposition party hit back, asking why the Modi government had cancelled the process of blacklisting the firm in question.india Updated: Apr 27, 2016 17:14 IST
Seeking to corner Congress over allegations of corruption in the AgustaWestland deal, BJP on Wednesday sought an explanation from Congress, while the opposition party hit back, asking why the Modi government had cancelled the process of blacklisting the firm in question.
Live coverage of Budget Session in Parliament:
- When did they (Congress) blacklist? Let them show the order copy (blacklisting AgustaWestland) first. Then I will reply, says Parrikar.
- We have a copy of the Italian Court order. We are in the process of translating it into English, says Parrikar.
- Defence minister Manohar Parrikar challenges Congress to show the order of UPA govt blacklisting AgustaWestland.
Watch | Sonia Gandhi on Agusta Westland VVIP chopper scam
- In last two years this government has done nothing. They were sleeping, says AK Antony on AgustaWestland.
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 2:05 pm.
- This matter must be discussed. Aap Bhagat Singh ko aatankwaadi nahin keh sakte, says BJP leader Anurag Thakur in Lok Sabha
- Bhagat Singh is being referred as a ‘terrorist’ in books. What history is being taught in schools and colleges? asks Anurag Thakur.
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm.
- They should hang us if they get any proof against us, says Congress leader Ahmed Patel on AgustaWestland.
-The government is there, agencies are there, then they must investigate, says Ahmed Patel.
- “If they have any complaint about character assassination, they can blame the court of Italy. She (Congress president Sonia Gandhi) should blame the Italian court,” says minister of state for parliamentary affairs Rajiv Pratap Rudy in Parliament premises.
“I am making this statement based on media reports which says big names like Sonia Gandhi, Ahmed Patel and even Manmohan Singh figured (in bribe taking).”
Replying to queries on Gandhi’s assertion that she was “not afraid” of any witch-hunt, Rudy said: “I agree with her, there is nothing to be afraid of. Truth will come out. But the basic issue remains that big names have cropped up in the case based on a verdict from an Italian court.”
12:10pm: Sonia Gandhi on AgustaWestland issue
- Where is the proof? It’s part of their strategy of character assassination.
- The allegation is completely baseless and false. You are in power for 2 years. Just finish the enquiry, truth will be out.
- This government is in power for 2 years now, why did they not complete the inquiry?
- We have nothing to hide. Let them take my name, I am not afraid, says Sonia Gandhi.
-Ravi Shankar Prasad in Lok Sabha: BSNL is doing better than what it was doing in the past, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) has made a profit of Rs 25 crore this year.
- Congress members trooped near the chairman’s podium raising slogans, after which the House was adjourned till 12pm.
- When the House reassembled at 11:35am, deputy chairman PJ Kurien said Swamy should not name a member from the other house and expunged the name from the records.
“You know that the name of member of the other house should not be taken here. A member’s name who cannot come and defend here should not be taken,” Kurien said.
- Gandhi’s name was later expunged by Kurien.
- “It is touching to see leader of opposition relying on Mr Michelle for what he said orally but the high court of Italy have recorded a letter written by Mr Michelle stating that Sonia Gandhi is the main...,” Swamy said, prompting a massive uproar from the Congress, forcing a brief adjournment.
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha by Congress, House adjourned till 11:35 am.
- Reports that Prime Ministers of India and Italy met are completely false, says finance minister Arun Jaitley in Rajya Sabha.
- Would like to know whether a meeting took place between two PMs as cited in a newspaper, was a deal struck? asks Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha
Session starts in both Houses of Parliament.
- There is no case, my party will respond, says Manmohan Singh on AgustaWestland.
- We are ready to discuss AgustaWestland issue in Parliament, says Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge
AgustaWestland’s Rs 3,600 crore contract for supplying 12 VVIP choppers to the Indian Air Force had been scrapped by the government over charges of paying kickbacks to Indian agents.
In January 2013, India cancelled the deal and the CBI was assigned to investigate whether kickbacks were paid to Indian officials.
First Published: Apr 27, 2016 11:18 IST