Sentencing in 1993 blasts case on Tue
The sentencing of the remaining 24 convicts, including film actor Sanjay Dutt, in the 1993 serial blasts case is likely to resume on Tuesday.
The special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court on Monday denied a stay on its earlier order rejecting an application moved by 16 convicts. The application had challenged the constitutional validity of TADA.
The development means sentencing can now resume. The court is likely to start with senior customs officer S.N. Thapa and the planter of an unexploded bomb, Imtiaz Ghavate.
Special Judge Pramod Kode has also summoned eight other convicts who had planted bombs at different locations in the city. Judge Kode resumed court last week after an accident at home indisposed him last month. The judge has also summoned actor Sanjay Dutt and his friends on Saturday. Rubeena Memon, who is likely to be sentenced along with her brothers-in-law Yakub, Essa and Yusuf, has been summoned on Friday.
Opposing a stay on the order rejecting the 16 convicts’ application, the prosecution on Monday said the 16 were trying to delay the sentencing. The prosecution said the sentencing should proceed as the court had already rejected their plea and directed the applicants to the Supreme Court.
The TADA court on Monday received a letter from the police stating their inability to deploy personnel to escort convicts because of the ongoing monsoon session of the legislature.
Special Judge Kode directed the police to still make arrangements for the necessary escort party during the sentencing. The session commenced on Monday and will last two weeks.