SP attacks Sibal for having acquired plots
SP claims Kapil Sibal and his family members got plots of land in Haryana under the then chief minister Bhajan Lal's discretionary quota, reports Sutirtho Patranobis.Updated: May 07, 2007 18:43 IST
Samajwadi Party (SP) on Monday launched a counter attack against Union Minister Kapil Sibal, claiming that he and his family members had got plots of land in Haryana under the then chief minister, Bhajan Lal's, discretionary quota.
Party General Secretary Amar Singh, demanded that Sibal should resign from the Government as he had claimed that he would do so if someone proved the allegations of plot allotment.
"Eminent lawyers including Kapil Sibal also got plots under the discretionary quota (of the Haryana Chief Minister). He should resign from the party as also from the Cabinet," Singh told reporters at a press conference.
Sibal, however, dismissed the allegations, saying that they were "unfounded" and frivolous. The Supreme Court had upheld the allotments and the incident happened 21 years ago, the minister told reporters in Parliament.
Sibal claimed that Singh was making allegations because he (Sibal) had exposed the SP leader's "shenanigans".
At the press conference, the SP leader, in turn, dismissed the Congress MP's allegations that UP Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav had misused his discretionary quota while allotting plots of land in Noida. "The scheme was an open one and it was decided by lottery," Singh said.
"There was a draw of lots in which the winners of the plots were selected. This draw of lots was subsequently challenged by some persons," Singh said adding that subsequently Mulayam cancelled all the allotments and appointed an independent commission to probe the matter.
"Let us now look into how Kapil Sibal, who made use of the scheme of allotment of land not through draw of lots but exclusively through chief minister's discretionary quota" in Haryana," he said alleging that hundreds of plots were allotted to Congress leaders, bureaucrats and judges, which was later quashed by Punjab and Haryana High Court in a judgement dated March 21, 1997.
Singh said the judgement was challenged before the Supreme Court, which was of the opinion that allotment through discretionary quota was bad and should be stopped. "However, persons who had been allotted plots earlier were spared because of the fact that they had already built houses on it," the SP leader said.