Teenager shoots at classmate
A class XI boy on Thursday shot and grievously injured a classmate who had objected to his smoking and his habit of bunking classes to watch movies. The classmate had even complained to the authorities about it, police said. Manvendra is absconding, they added.
Manvendra, a resident of Banda, and Ashish, of Pratapgarh, studied science at the Chitrakoot Intermediate College in Karvi.
Manvendra shot at Ashish from a country-made gun in his hostel room while the latter’s roommate was away, police said. Ashish’s condition is stated to be critical. He had been admitted to the SN Hospital in Allahabad.
On Monday, Ashish caught Manvendra smoking in the hostel premises. He lodged a complaint with the warden and told him that Manvendra also used to bunk classes to watch movies.
The college administration reprimanded Manvendra and told him that his parents would be informed. Later, an angry Manvendra beat up Ashish and threatened him with dire consequences.
On Wednesday, the college administration called both Manvendra and Ashish to settle the issue. Principal Ranvir Singh Chauhan played the peacemaker.
“I told Manvendra not to smoke in the hostel premises,” he said. On Thursday, around 9 am Manvendra went to Ashish’s room and opened fire at him.
Superintendent of Police, Chitrakoot, Shachi Ghildiyal said no arrest has been made yet. “There was no rivalry between the students. The firing was result of the tiff between two students on the issue of smoking,” she said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.