Tsunami benefit match postponed to April: Dalmiya
The second tsunami relief match between Rest of World and Asian XI, scheduled to be held in Kolkata on Feburary 13, has been postponed to the second half of April due to non-availability of the best players from Australia and New Zealand.
Announcing this in Kolkata on Thursday, Jagmohan Dalmiya, the President of Asian Cricket Council, said that the decision to postpone the match was taken as per International Cricket Council (ICC) direction.
The ICC had earlier assured the Asian body that the Rest of the World XI would comprise all the top players who did duty in the first tsunami relief match at Melbourne on January 10, he said.
"The ICC, however, informed us today that with Australia's series against New Zealand about to begin, the leading players of the two countries would not be availalbe," he said.
"Under the circumstances, there were two alternatives -- either to go ahead with the match on Feburary 13 without the best players or to postpone the match," Dalmiya said.
"The first alternative was not acceptable since the cricket lovers, the donors, sponsors and everyone else concerned would be deprived of seeing the best players in action. Therefore, the ICC directed that the 'cricket for humanity' match be postponed until the second half of April," Dalmiya said.
Dalmiya said that the matter would be taken up for discussion during an emergent meeting of the ACC to be held in Dubai on January 31.