Asaram to remain in Jail, SC to hear bail plea on July 3
Self-styled godman Asaram — lodged in Jodhpur Central Jail in connection with sexual assault of a minor girl — received another setback on Monday, as the Supreme Court adjourned his bail plea till July 3 next.
After being denied bail by the district and session court (Jodhpur rural) thrice and Rajasthan high court twice, Asaram had approached the Supreme Court with two separate petitions, including bail application and acquittal from the charges filed under from Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO).
Asaram has challenged the minor status of the alleged victim. Hearing of both the petitions was scheduled on Monday in the SC, but now the matter has been posted for hearing on July 3.
Asaram was expecting favourable response from the spex court in the POCSO petition, which would have delayed the cross-examination of the victim.
Earlier, Asaram had been panelised by the Jodhpur court for delaying the cross-examination of the victim.
Expressing strong displeasure over the tactics adopted by Asaram’s counsels to delay the cross-examination of the victim, the local court had closed the arguments of the defence after Asaram’s counsel withdrew himself from the case last week.
Meanwhile, Asaram’s Mumbai based lawyer urged the district and sessions court to review the decision regarding closing of Asaram’s argument.
The district court is likely to hear his petition on Tuesday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Protestors are staging a dharna with the woman’s body outside the sub divisional officer’s office in Bhinmal. They said they would not accept her body till the minor girl was rescued.
- Health secretary Siddharth Majahan said, “The vaccination is going on smoothly across the state. People are enthusiastic".
- Private hospitals can charge up to ₹250 for a dose of the Covid-19 vaccine.
- The girl said she was currently staying at her maternal house of her own sweet will but her family had lodged a false case of kidnapping against them
- Both leaders shared a helicopter for the first time after more than a year.
- The decision was taken in a review meeting chaired by chief minister Ashok Gehlot at his residence.
- The state has prepared a new bill, the Rajasthan Prisons Bill, 2021, taking inspiration from the model jail manual.
- Several states including Maharashtra, Kerala, MP and Punjab continue to record high number of Covid cases.