Style File: US President inauguration signals inclusivity
It’s hard to overlook the degree of symbolism in Kamala Harris’ sartorial pick to the inauguration ceremony of President-elect Joe Biden. Cutting a fine figure in a purple ensemble by Christopher John Rogers and Sergio Hudson (two emerging black designers), she managed to send out messages of inclusivity, bipartisanship and acceptance. Apparently, the hue denotes a deeper meaning about collectivism since its made by combining red and blue, the tones representing Democratic and Republican parties. Hillary Clinton had also worn violet in her 2016 concession speech while dwelling on America’s political chasm.
Moreover, the choice of purple could be a nod to Shirley Chisholm, the first African-American woman to run for President of the United States. Kamala styled her ensemble with her signature pearls, which connected her to her Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority days, and this time, instead of her Converse Chuck Taylors, she opted for a pair of chic heels. “Kamala’s look was classic and seemed well thought out. Given her choice of colour scheme in the past, she tends to gravitate towards brighter hues. Also, the warm coat layering was best suited for the cold weather,” says designer Neeta Lulla.
However, it was Ella Emhoff, her stepdaughter, who turned heads in an embellished, strong-shouldered Miu Miu coat, accented by a floppy collar. Finishing it off with a headband, center-parted hair and a black mask, the textile design student at Parsons School of Design was quite an eclectic dresser. “Ella’s look was youthful and quirky and worked given her artsy background. Having said that, I am not a fan of daytime crystals. Also, a camel hued mask would have upped the look more than the black one she opted for,” says designer Nachiket Barve.
Former First Lady Michelle Obama too picked a matching marsala overcoat and look by Sergio Hudson comprising a turtleneck, a pair of wide-legged trousers, and a matching belt with a gold circle buckle cinched at her waist. “Michelle looked chic and elegant in her marsala outfit. The long length of the jacket and the statement belt she picked proved that she is a daring dresser and has a great carriage,” quips Neeta.
Dr Jill Biden opted for a Markarian ensemble consisting of a tapered dress with a chiffon bodice and scalloped skirt. The marine blue was chosen to signify trust, confidence, and stability. “The aqua blue worked well on her and complemented her persona,” says Neeta.
While Hillary Clinton donned a bright purple suit and matching scarf, which she paired with a dark wool coat to keep warm, Laura Bush wore a powder blue coat with a dark lapel over a slate-gray dress and sheer tights for the occasion. “Laura’s new hairstyle was rather fresh and she looked relaxed in the balmy winter sun. The robins egg piece added to her appeal,” says Nachiket.
All in all there was an air of quiet elegance about the whole affair and most ladies harked back to the ladylike style of Queen Elizabeth.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For a photo shoot, Vidya Balan wore a purple pinstripe dress with a mauve jacket and opted to go sans-accessories. The Kahaani actor taught us how to channel a fierce vibe with our glam in new pics.
- Shanaya Kapoor shared images from her impromptu at-home photo shoot with fans on Instagram. The photo shoot was a family affair, as Arjun Kapoor turned stylist and Khushi Kapoor edited the images and delivered the final product.
- Say goodbye to your winter clothes cause it's time to slay in some gorgeous floral print mini skirts and tops like Hina Khan. The actor recently shared images of herself wearing a summery co-ord set and we love it.
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- For her much anticipated interview with the media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle wore a black silk dress and showed that she knows how to do maternity fashion right.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.