The message we all want to send to family WhatsApp groups. Read it here
“There’s an incredible amount of unverified news, casual sexism, and unwarranted xenophobia that gets shared here that I’m frankly quite uncomfortable with”.
These were the last words of Twitter user @The_HappyNoodle to her relatives as she bade farewell to the extended-family WhatsApp group she was a member of.
The “Oxford comma enthusiast” took to Twitter to describe the step as a “personal victory” and “cannot fully express the relief I feel”.
“I really think there needs to be a line in the sand with respect to inappropriate content because the things we condone in the way of humour become the things we become desensitised to,” she says in her message.
The tweet that has been liked over 2000 times resonated with people across social media platforms, including Reddit, with people commending her courage to call out her family members.
“Whatsapp has become a cringey fest of centipede spam forwarders. It’s rare to find groups where people actually do have a decent conversation without cringy smileys and insider jokes (sic),” says Reddit user Randiana.
Some raised doubts if her family members would be able to discern the message or “even bother reading past the first sentence?”
Others shared their own experiences of encounters with relatives on social media.
“I instantly leave from various family groups that keep adding me. My dad’s fb request is pending for years (sic),” commented a user under the name BodybuilderPilot2.
While most thought that it was “the best decision ever”, some were curious to know about her family’s reaction after she quit the WhatsApp group. A few others sought her permission to use the message as their own exit plan.
Here are the best reactions on Twitter:
But not everyone saw this as a step towards a less ‘stressful’ life.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ask us to define a perfect weekend evening and we’ll picture a plate of soft, melt-in-the-mouth lamb seekh kebabs. If you too are drooling on the thought, check out the recipe inside and wrap up this Sunday with a barbecue of easy-to-make lamb kebabs
- Running out of dinner options? Try this crispy and mouthwatering Cilantro Lime Chicken which is easy to prep, too healthy to miss and takes a Mediterranean twist. Check recipe inside
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.
- Mini Mathur shares romantic mushy ‘wild candid’ pictures on 23rd wedding anniversary with Kabir Khan, spills the beans on a long and happy marriage and we are taking notes to amp up our romance game this Sunday