Bajirao Mastani review by Anupama Chopra: Soaring, searing, sumptuous
Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Actors: Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra
Bajirao Mastani is a celebration of magnificent obsession — Bajirao’s obsession with his beloved Mastani, and director Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s obsession with the 17th-century Peshwa and his doomed love story. Sanjay has nurtured and sculpted this film for 12 years. It is based on the book Rau by Marathi novelist NS Inamdar. But it begins with a disclaimer, which states that the film isn’t professing to be historically accurate.
Bajirao Mastani plays out a like an operatic, swooning, feverish love poem. It is also Sanjay’s homage to one of Indian cinema’s greatest love stories — Mughal-e-Azam. Once again, statesmanship gets in the way of grand passion. A proud, battle-scarred leader is felled by an uncontainable emotion. Bhansali instantly throws you into Bajirao’s story — even before the opening titles, he has been established as a superlative warrior and shrewd politician. Sanjay is Hindi cinema’s most opulent artist and each frame is designed for beauty.
The film feels overly ceremonious, purposefully epic and, in places, a little exhausting. But hang in there. Because slowly and skillfully, Bajirao Mastani transports you. The narrative negotiates between scale and intimacy. Sanjay’s triumph is that he makes us invest equally in all three — Bajirao, Mastani and Kashibai, the devoted wife who must come to terms with her husband’s infidelity. This is the all-too-familiar triangle made messy by marriage, religion and status. But in Sanjay’s hands, it is elevated to Krishna, Radha and Rukmini. Love, this film argues, is a higher calling. Love constitutes its own religion.
Ranveer Singh isn’t instantly convincing, but he slowly makes you believe. It’s a complex role that combines towering strength with aching vulnerability and helplessness. He delivers his career’s best performance. Priyanka Chopra might have the fewest scenes of the three, but she creates maximum impact. And Deepika Padukone is riveting as the legendary beauty Mastani. Her face is so luminous that she seems lit from within. What doesn’t work as well is Tanvi Azmi as the fierce matriarch.
But you will easily get past this. Because in Bajirao Mastani, Bhansali has dared greatly, and succeeded.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.