Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2018-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

After 2 years in jail, Mumbai court declares molestation accused juvenile

The teenager was accused of stalking and molesting a girl from his locality in 2015. However, the defense had claimed that it was a love affair.

mumbai Updated: Dec 15, 2017 00:21 IST
Charul Shah
Charul Shah
Hindustan Times
mumbai news,crime,molestation
A resident of Nehru nagar, the teen was arrested on August 28, 2015 and released in December the same year.(Representational Image)

Two years after being booked for molesting a girl and spending several months in jail, the sessions court last week declared the accused a minor and transferred the case to the Juvenile Justice Board.

“It was at a later stage we realised that the investigating officer had done nothing to check the age of accused. His parents are illiterate to know their rights. Hence, we checked proof and certificates, that revealed his age is 17, a juvenile” said the teenager’s advocate.

A resident of Nehru Nagar, he was accused of stalking and molesting a girl from his locality. However, the defense had claimed that it was a love affair and several letters were exchanged between them.

It was claimed that as the girl’s parents became aware about the alleged association, the girl distanced herself. However, he followed her to several places after which the girl’s family lodged a complaint.

The teenager was arrested on August 28, 2015, and released in December the same year.

The court had issued a non-bailable warrant as he failed to appear in court. However, during the trial he had shifted to Rajasthan. He was arrested in October this year again and was in jail since, his lawyer said.

The defense lawyer had moved a plea in September and said that the investigating officer had not followed guidelines set by the Supreme Court.

“The investigating officer said that he had not done the ossification test of the accused. He also admitted that he had not informed relatives or parents of the boy about his arrest,” claims the application.

The family produced his original birth certificate issued by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Government of Rajasthan, and also sought ossification test.

After examining evidence, the court on December 6, accepted that he was a minor. The case has now been transferred to juvenile court.

First Published: Dec 14, 2017 21:32 IST