Thane mass murderer transacted Rs4crore in past few months, say police

Cops freeze demat account of Hasnain Warekar, trying to find out with whom he was dealing with in run-up to the massacre

mumbai Updated: Mar 09, 2016 00:36 IST
Arvind Walmiki
Arvind Walmiki
Hindustan Times
Thane,Thane massacre,Hasnain

In a new twist in the Thane mass murder case, police have dug up details stating that accused Hasnain Warekar’s demat account had transactions of more than Rs 4 crore in the past few months.

The police have freezed the account and are going through the minute details of the transactions.

A senior police officer from Thane commissionerate said, “We went through Hasnain’s shares (demat) account and we found that he has transacted more than Rs 4 crores in the past few months. We are going through the account to ascertain with whom he was dealing with and are also going through his dealers with whom he used to be in touch.”

It was also found during investigation that in Thane city, Hasnain had a few rooms, which he had given out on rent and that he was indirectly forcing his father to sell those rooms. “We are yet to ascertain the main motive as there are loopholes. Though our investigation is going on in full swing, we have not left a single stone unturned. Very soon we will come up with a concrete lead. The blood sample sent to Kalina Forensic Lab in Mumbai is yet to come. Once it comes, we will be able to ascertain the motive,” he said.

Police officers have searched Warekar’s house and have seized the 14 deceased’s cellphones, including that of the accused.

After the statement of Warekar’s sister, Subiya Barmal, was taken down, a close relative of the family said, “Subiya is still in a state of shock and she is no mood to visit Kasarwadavli ever. In fact, she has snapped all ties with the village. She has lost her child in the mass murder. She is still recovering from the injury as the cut was deep enough.”

On February 28 morning, Warekar, 32, had called his family members to his house saying he had a surprise for them. The same night, he slit all 15 members’ throats, in which, Subiya survived. He then hanged himself in the same house.

The accused used to work as a clerk in a CA office at Navi Mumbai.

First Published: Mar 09, 2016 00:36 IST