Australian govt lets Chris Brown know that he isn’t welcome there
The Australian government has let R&B star Chris Brown know that he will most likely be denied entry into the country as they make an effort to tackle domestic violence.music Updated: Sep 27, 2015 13:15 IST
American R&B singer Chris Brown has been made aware that he is set to be blocked from touring Australia, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said Sunday, as the government sets up its efforts to tackle domestic violence.
Brown, who was convicted of assaulting his then-partner pop star Rihanna in 2009, was issued with a “notice of intention to consider refusal”, just a day before tickets to his “One Hell of a Nite” tour were due to go on sale.
“People to whom these notices are issued have 28 days to present material as to why they should be given a visa to enter Australia,” Dutton said in a statement.
“Decisions on whether a visa will or will not be issued are made after that timeframe and consideration of the material presented to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.”
The decision to ban the Grammy award-winning performer was mooted by recently appointed Minister of Women Michaelia Cash on Friday as new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull unveiled a Aus$100 million (US$70 million) package to address violence in families.
Cash, the former assistant immigration minister, also said she previously revoked the visa of a “very, very, very wealthy” boxing star, understood to be Floyd Mayweather, who has multiple convictions for assaulting women.
Brown is due to perform in the Australian cities of Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane from December 9-16. He previously toured Australia in 2011 and 2012.
First Published: Sep 27, 2015 13:13 IST