Legendary dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai dies at 97
Legendary bharatanatyam dancer and Padma Bhushan recipent Mrinalini Sarabhai, passed away on Thursday morning at the age of 97. Wife of renowned Indian scientist Vikram Sarabhai, she’s survived by her son, well known environmentalist Kartikeya Sarabhai and daughter renowned danseuse Mallika Sarabhai.
Eminent Indian classical dancer Padma Vibhushan Sonal Mansingh pays tribute to the celebrated dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai.
Mrinalini Sarabhai was one of the leading lights of the Indian dance scene for a long time and lived till her ripe old age. I remember her as someone who was always dressed very beautifully. She would wear beautiful saris, jewellery, kajal a nose stud and had a very striking persona.
She was a Malayali and belonged to a very good family. Her father was a barrister and her mother Ammu Swaminathan, I remember, was a very famous social worker who was actively involved in the independence struggle. Mrinalini ji learnt Bharatanatyam along with other dance forms and partnered with the famous dancer Ram Gopal. Later, she met Vikram Sarabhai, a scientist who belonged to an affluent Gujarati family and married him.
She came to live in Ahmedabad in those early years when Ahmedabad had a lot of Gujarati culture but she was able to instil interest in Bharatanatyam and Kathakali among the people there, especially because she started an institution. Around that time, she partnered with Chathunni Panicker a wonderful Kathakali dancer, created some dance ballads such as Manushya… I forget the other names because they were performed so long ago and I had seen in my teens.
She established Bharatanaytam and Kathakali and classical dance in Ahmedabad and of course she travelled with her group abroad and got recognized internationally. All the while her husband Vikram Sarabhai, who became a great scientist, supported her to the hilt.
And not just dance, I also remember that she had a lot of interest in handicraft and handlooms and was associated with Gurjari (Gujarat State Handicrafts Emporium). She was a very multi-faceted personality and my condolences to the family. I feel her memory should always be celebrated.
(As told to Torsha Sen)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.
- Singer Nick Jonas shared his thoughts on BTS, to the delight of the pop group's fans. Here's what he said.
- BTS singer Jungkook released an alternative bridge of the group's song Dis-ease. The 45-second clip has the BTS member singing in English.
- Bigg Boss 13 star Shehnaaz Gill romances Badshah in new song Fly, but 'looks part Indian-part Thai'. Watch the video here.
- Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
- BTS singers Jimin and V graduated from Global Cyber University. The duo has been conferred with the Presidential Award as well.
- Singer Shreya Ghoshal has announced her first pregnancy. She is married to Shiladitya M since six years.
- BTS leader RM, during a conversation about India, revealed that he was familiar with Daler Mehndi's hit Punjabi track Tunak Tunak Tun and confessed he sang the song in middle school.
- Singer Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a son. They had earlier shared several posts trying to guess the baby's gender, wondering if the child would be a 'Singh' or a 'Kaur'.