Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 19, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abducted boy rescued by Delhi cops: Clueless Ghaziabad police stays put for 10 days

The five-year-old was kidnapped from Delhi’s Dilshad Garden a day before Republic Day. Two bikers had stopped the school bus and abducted the child.

noida Updated: Feb 06, 2018 22:33 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Ghaziabad,Delhi police,Shalimar Garden
The flat where the boy was kept in Ghaziabad.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

After the Delhi Police on Tuesday morning rescued a missing child from his abductors after a raid in Ghaziabad, the city police denied there was an intelligence failure at their end despite the child being kept in a flat in the city for 10 days.

The boy, a five-year-old, was abducted from his school bus in Delhi on January 25 and the incident remained in the headlines over the last week.

A team of Delhi Police raided flat number 505, on the fifth floor of Shalimar City high-rise, which is barely 11 kilometres from the Shahdara residence of the abducted child. The place is close to Hindon airbase on Ghaziabad-Wazirabad Road. The child was later handed over to his parents.

The kidnappers had rented the flat and found a haven in the city before the Delhi Police cracked the case around 1am on Tuesday morning. The Ghaziabad police denied a failure on part of its local intelligence units, despite having no lead in the case until their Delhi counterparts rescued the child.

“It is not possible to track all people living in houses or flats. The child was from Shahdara while the kidnappers are also stated to be from the same area. They had rented the flat in Ghaziabad and kept the child here. The Delhi Police did not take help from us or inform us before the raid,” HN Singh, senior superintendent of police, Ghaziabad, said.

Officers of the Delhi Police said that the boy was shifted to the Ghaziabad flat on January 25 and was to be kept there till a ransom of Rs60 lakh was paid.

“Once the operation was done, we intimated the Uttar Pradesh police. The case started unravelling only yesterday (on Monday) after we had questioned a person in connection with the incident. We had been doing the groundwork for the past many days and got leads from the person. Without losing time, we chalked out a strategy and moved in,” Alok Kumar, joint commissioner of Delhi Police (crime), said.

Officials of the Sahibabad police station said that the Delhi Police has also lodged an FIR into the encounter conducted.

The Delhi Police was reportedly on the lookout for the gang of three after the boy’s family had received a phone call on January 28 from the kidnappers, asking for a ransom to return the child.

“The police have worked hard to return our child to us. He has been handed over to us. We came to know around 1am that he had been rescued. Doctors said the child suffers from weakness and advised him to rest. We have sent him to his maternal grandmother’s house as a lot of people will be coming here to meet us,” the boy’s paternal grandfather said.

The five-year-old was kidnapped from Delhi’s Dilshad Garden a day before Republic Day. Two bikers had stopped the school bus and abducted the child. During the incident, one of the men, who was armed, held the bus driver at gunpoint while the other picked up the child. As the driver tried to prevent the kidnapping, one of them shot him in the leg and fled with his accomplice and the child.

First Published: Feb 06, 2018 22:33 IST