Gzb kid dies of snakebite, parents thought it was rat till they saw 5-ft cobra
An eight-year-old girl died of a snakebite at her house at Madhuban Bapudham colony in Ghaziabad early Thursday morning.noida Updated: Sep 02, 2016 13:51 IST
An eight-year-old girl died of a snakebite at her house at Madhuban Bapudham colony in Ghaziabad early Thursday morning. The snake, five-foot long cobra, was spotted inside her house and later relocated to a forest.
Khushi was the youngest of her eight siblings. The incident took place around 4.30am when Khushi, who studied in Class 4, was sleeping on the floor along with her siblings.
She started screaming when she saw the bite mark on her hand.
“Since it is summer, children sleep on the floor. We thought it was a rat. There are lot of rats here. For nearly one and half hours we consoled her, but her condition deteriorated and her hand turned blue,” said Tika Ram, her father.
“A doctor from our locality saw her and said it could be a snakebite. We searched the house and found the black snake on an almirah. Shocked, we ran out with all family members and locked the room from outside. The girl was taken to Muradnagar, but she died,” he said.
Sheelesh Kumar, Kavi Nagar station house officer, said: “By the time we got the information, the girl had died. The forest department and animal rights activists captured the snake.”
One of the activists said it took more than an hour to capture the five-feet long reptile.
“It was a cobra. The residential area is surrounded by dense vegetation and snakes usually move around in the rainy season,” said Asif Shehzad, range forest officer from the divisional forest department, Ghaziabad.
The girl’s parents said the body was buried on Thursday evening. It was second death in the family as few years back Khushi’s sister had died of health ailments at their native house in Bulandshahr.
First Published: Sep 02, 2016 11:49 IST