Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Korea beat Malaysia for bronze medal

South Korea overcame an early blow to beat Malaysia 2-1 for the bronze medal in men's hockey at the inaugural Afro-Asian Games.

othersports Updated: Oct 31, 2003 19:22 IST

Continental powerhouse South Korea overcame an early blow to beat Malaysia 2-1 for the bronze medal in men's hockey at the inaugural Afro-Asian Games here on Friday.

Korea, who dominated for most part of the match, were forced on to the back foot when Malaysian forward Rasoli Muhammad scored a goal in the 42nd minute. But the Asian Games champions bounced back to score two goals in the space of seven minutes through Hyo Sik Yoo (45th) and Kyung Seok Kim (52nd).

Earlier, South Africa rallied back superbly to beat Egypt through Gareth Carr's golden goal to take the fifth place.

Trailing 0-2 till the 60th minute, South Africa pumped in two goals in nine minutes to take the match into extra time and Carr scored the golden goal converting a penalty corner in the 78th minute to herald a remarkable win for his side at the Gachibowli stadium.

In the classification match for the last two places, Nigeria got themselves into trouble before prevailing over Ghana 3-2 in a keenly contested battle. The win helped Nigeria finish seventh in the competition.

Samson Ayebawapeime turned the saviour for Nigeria scoring the winner in the 57th minute after Ghana bounced back from 0-2 down to neutralise the lead in the 39th minute.

The match saw Nigeria dominating the early part with Okwudili Peter Menyei (15th) and Sunday David (21st) scoring to give their side a 2-0 lead.
But Ebenzer Frimpong slammed home in the 23rd minute to rekindle the hopes of a fightback by the Ghanians.

Isaac Ofori's 39th minute goal for the equaliser put pressure on Nigeria who were pulled out of the woods by Samson's field goal.

The action-filled South Africa and Egypt match saw as many as four players given yellow cards (two from each side) while Amoro Mohamed was served a red card. An Egyptian and two South African players also received green cards during the match.

Egypt went to the half-time leading 1-0 after Sameh Mohamed scored in the 13th minute and they consolidated their position further netting in the second goal just a minute after the breather through Mohammed Enaba.

A desperate South Africa applied pressure on Egypt looking to reduce the margin. But they had to wait till 60th minute when Steve Philips slammed home a field goal.

Carr's penalty corner conversion just a minute before the breather took the match to the extra-time.

India will take on arch-rivals Pakistan in the final later in the day.

First Published: Oct 31, 2003 19:22 IST