Fernandes and Cavani have made Manchester United contenders: Rooney
The signings of Bruno Fernandes and Edinson Cavani could prove crucial for Manchester United this season as they both have the kind of winner's mentality a club needs to sustain a title challenge, former skipper Wayne Rooney said.
The pair, who arrived last year, had also taken some of the pressure off Paul Pogba, allowing the French midfielder to play to his full potential, he added.
Pogba scored the winner in United's 2-1 win over Fulham on Wednesday after Cavani had equalised, a victory that took them to the top of the table.
"The last few years, United haven't been ready to challenge for the title, but now they've brought in players like Fernandes and Cavani - players with a winning mentality - that has helped massively," Derby County boss Rooney told British media.
"Now the squad is challenging for a Premier League title. I said to the coaches in the office here six weeks ago I thought United will win the League. I still feel that today.
"Paul Pogba will have a massive part to play in that. Those players that have been brought in with winning mentalities will relieve some of the pressure from Paul a bit, and he can now show his quality on the pitch."
United are two points clear of Manchester City, who have a game in hand. They take on Liverpool in the fourth round of the FA Cup on Sunday before meeting Sheffield United in the league next Wednesday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- FC Goa attacked Dessai through Saviour Gama before twinkle-toed Jorge Ortiz tested him. By the 17th minute, Dessai had been caught out thrice; the last time because of a poor pass which Alexander Jesuraj intercepted needing a tackle from Vignesh Dakshinamurthy that could have been a penalty.
- Muller wouldn’t feature regularly that season but he went on to score in the Champions League knockout stages coming on as a substitute against Sporting Lisbon.
- Musiala has been making steady progress since he joined Bayern’s under-17 team from Chelsea in 2019. He has made 27 appearances for the first team, scoring four goals.
- Barcelona faces an even bigger hurdle next week when it visits Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League trailing 4-1 from the first leg. But the team can aspire to keep up its positive momentum in the Spanish league.
- The first leg, originally scheduled to be held at the Red Bull Arena in Germany, was shifted to Budapest after German authorities denied Liverpool entry into the country due to Covid-19 protocols.