Robben blames Netherlands infighting for euro exit
The Netherlands’ players hinted that their Euro 2012 campaign had been undermined by changing-room disunity after their participation in the tournament ended with a 2-1 loss to Portugal.sports Updated: Jun 19, 2012 00:09 IST
The Netherlands’ players hinted that their Euro 2012 campaign had been undermined by changing-room disunity after their participation in the tournament ended with a 2-1 loss to Portugal. A team that arrived at as one of the favourites after finishing runners-up at the 2010 World Cup and plundering 37 goals in qualifying will travel home dejected following three consecutive losses.
Draw not kind
The draw that placed the Dutch in the finely balanced Group B was not kind, but no-one could have predicted the tame losses to Denmark, Germany and Portugal that followed.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice to cancel out Rafael van der Vaart’s opener in Kharkiv to leave Bert van Marwijk’s side rooted to the foot of the table without a point to their name.
The cracks had appeared much earlier, however, with outbursts from several players hinting at discord among a national squad with a historical reputation for feuding and in-fighting. Van der Vaart and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar both complained about being left out of the starting line-up, while Arjen Robben reacted petulantly to his substitution during the 1-0 loss to Germany.
Asked to provide explanations for his team’s struggles, Robben appeared at a loss. “We lost three times. It’s a difficult thing to accept,” he said. “We have to dare to look at ourselves in the mirror: we all failed. It’s hard to find explanations. Sometimes things are impossible to explain. In the match (against Portugal), we started the match well but we quickly forgot to keep developing our play.”
Tellingly, he conceded that, behind the scenes, all had not been well. “Things happened in the squad, but we’ll keep that between us,” Robben said.
First Published: Jun 19, 2012 00:06 IST