- The structure, known as the Southern Tomb, lies south of Cairo near the Third Dynasty pharoah's famous Step Pyramid, Egypt's earliest large-scale stone structure, which itself was closed for restoration until March 2020.
Updated on Sep 14, 2021 09:54 PM IST
The 4,600-year-old vessel, also known as the Solar Boat, was moved to the nearby Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM), due to be inaugurated later this year.
Published on Aug 07, 2021 10:42 PM IST
The Ever Given is 400 meters from bow to stern and nearly 60 meters across. It was loaded with about 17,600 brightly colored containers.
Published on Jun 26, 2021 03:13 AM IST
Agencies | , Cairo
Travellers entering Egypt must present QR-coded certificates claiming that they have received their full doses of one of the six Covid-19 vaccines approved by Egypt and the WHO at least two weeks before their arrival.
Updated on Jun 24, 2021 04:11 PM IST
The government of Egypt will be lifting all the restrictions that had been imposed since May 6, in an attempt to curb the spread of the coronavirus, on June 1.
Published on May 31, 2021 07:31 AM IST
Reuters | , Cairo
- He later called for efforts "to prevent strengthening extremist elements that threaten regional stability, and to ensure the return home of the missing persons and prisoners held by Hamas."
Published on May 30, 2021 10:50 PM IST
AFP | , Cairo
- Egypt is betting that the new ancient discoveries and troves of ancient artifacts from its archaeological sites and museums will set it apart on the mid- and post-pandemic tourism market by making international tourists come back in force and inject cash into the tourism industry
Updated on May 30, 2021 12:34 PM IST
The court in Ismailia town postponed the hearing to June 20 after requests from lawyers representing the Suez Canal Authority and the owner of the 400-meter-long Ever Given.
Published on May 29, 2021 06:47 PM IST
They also found tombs nearby from the later Hyksos period, when Western Asian migrants took over the country, putting an end to Egypt's Middle Kingdom.
Published on Apr 28, 2021 04:54 PM IST
Reuters | , Cairo
- At least eight train wagons ran off the railway at the city of Banha in Qalyubia province, just north of Cairo, the provincial governor's office said in a statement. Videos on social media purportedly showed wagons overturned and passengers escaping to safety along the railway.
Published on Apr 18, 2021 09:39 PM IST
Four train wagons ran off the railway at the city of Banha in Qalyubia province, just north of Egypt's Cairo, the railway authority.
Published on Apr 18, 2021 09:20 PM IST
AP | , Cairo
Egypt seized a giant container vessel that blocked the Suez Canal last month as talks continued over the more than $900 million in compensation sought by authorities.
Published on Apr 14, 2021 03:14 PM IST
- Ramadan 2021: From Saudi Arabia to Asian countries like India and Pakistan and Western nations like USA and UK, here is a list of regions that begin fasting from Tuesday after sighting the crescent moon
Updated on Apr 12, 2021 07:03 PM IST
By Zarafshan Shiraz
Ahmed Bassam Zaki was referred to trial by public prosecutors on charges of the indecent assault and blackmail of at least three women, all under 18 at the time.
Published on Apr 11, 2021 10:16 PM IST
Reuters | , Cairo
- Ramadan 2021 moon sighting updates: Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court had called on all Muslims in UAE, Qatar and other Arab states to sight the crescent moon for the onset of the Holy month of Ramadan on Sunday evening, Sha’ban 29, 1442 AH, that is April 11, 2021
Updated on Apr 11, 2021 11:59 PM IST
- Famed Egyptologist Zahi Hawass announced the discovery of the "lost golden city", saying the site was uncovered near Luxor, home of the legendary Valley of the Kings.
Published on Apr 09, 2021 01:16 PM IST
Marwa Elselehdar was on duty hundreds of miles away in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria when the Suez Canal was blocked by container ship Ever Given.
Updated on Apr 04, 2021 07:23 AM IST
Written by Prashasti Singh, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
- The convoy transported 18 kings and four queens, mostly from the New Kingdom, from the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo's Tahrir Square to the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in Fustat, about 5km (3 miles) to the south-east.
Published on Apr 04, 2021 05:57 AM IST
- Cairo authorities are shutting down roads along the Nile for a grand parade that will convey 22 Egyptian mummies of pharaohs to a new museum home which is expected to drum up interest in Egypt's rich collections of antiquities amid stalled tourism during Covid-19
Updated on Apr 03, 2021 05:26 PM IST
Egypt's Suez Canal, the crucial maritime trade route which remained blocked by the 'Ever Given' vessel for more than a week, has been easing up gradually over the past couple of days, with the massive pile-up of queued vessels on both sides of the channel making their way through.
Updated on Apr 03, 2021 04:16 PM IST
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Joydeep Bose
On Monday, salvage teams freed the skyscraper-sized container ship, ending a crisis that had clogged one of the world’s most vital waterways and halted billions of dollars a day in maritime commerce.
Published on Apr 02, 2021 06:52 PM IST
AP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal, Cairo
Egypt has seen an increase in tourism. In the first three months of 2021, Egypt has already welcomed 5,00,000 tourists and earned tourism revenue somewhere between USD 600 million to USD 800 million.
Published on Apr 02, 2021 07:28 AM IST
Reuters | , Cairo
At just after 3 pm local time on Monday, the Ever Given was dislodged from a sand bank in the Suez Canal by tugboats pushing and pulling to rock it loose.
Published on Mar 31, 2021 03:02 AM IST
Agencies | , Suez
- Amer resident Fatima was feeding poultry on the roof of her three-story home when she saw the massive ship sitting motionless in the canal.
Published on Mar 30, 2021 11:28 AM IST
"The prosecutor general ordered that the two drivers... their two assistants, the guard of a traffic control tower, the head of traffic control in Assiut and two other guards ... be remanded in custody," a statement from the prosecutor said.
Published on Mar 29, 2021 04:00 PM IST
AFP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
Over 300 ships and billions of dollars worth of cargo is currently stalled at either entrances to the Suez Canal.
Published on Mar 29, 2021 08:36 AM IST
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kanishka Sarkar, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Dredgers working to dislodge the stranded vessel have so far shifted 27,000 cubic metres of sand, to a depth of 18 metres (19.7 yards), and efforts would continue around the clock according to wind conditions and tides, the Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said.
Published on Mar 28, 2021 11:28 PM IST
Reuters | , Egypt
- The chairman of the Suez Canal Authority had earlier expressed hope that dredging could free the ship without removing its cargo.
Published on Mar 28, 2021 08:16 PM IST
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kunal Gaurav, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
- Since the the Ever Given grounding last week brought one of the world’s busiest trade routes to a halt, residents have had rare front-row seats to an event whose outcome is key to the global economy.
Published on Mar 28, 2021 02:53 PM IST
No one was hurt, and the environment is so far undamaged. The lack of stakes surrounding the Ever Given's grounding in Suez Canal has made it a prime target for jokes.
Published on Mar 26, 2021 02:57 PM IST